Your body goes through a lot of changes as you go through the amazing journey of pregnancy. However, sometimes your sleep can be disturbed by dreams about labour, childbirth, or a miscarriage. And at times you can even have such dreams when you’re not even pregnant!
Such dreams are called pregnancy dreams. These dreams might make you feel restless and hinder the relaxed sleep that you require in your pregnancy. In this article, we’ll find out what pregnancy dreams are and what dream analysts have to say about such dreams.
So the first question that comes to our mind is, what are pregnancy dreams? And how are they different from normal dreams?
Many dream analysts have stated that you may observe a variation in the number and sorts of dreams you have during pregnancy. However, pregnancy dreams may not necessarily indicate that you are pregnant.
There are a number of factors that trigger pregnancy dreams. Some of them include embarking on a new phase of life or preparing for a new endeavour or relationship. Even being accountable for your mental health, or leaving a toxic relationship can trigger such dreams. Many mamas reported having these dreams while they were trying to conceive.
Causes of pregnancy dreams
Although the dramatically fluctuating levels of hormones during pregnancy can be one of the major causes of pregnancy dreams, it’s not the only reason you have them.
Whenever you are under a lot of stress or making changes in your life or lifestyle in general, your ideas find their way to your subconscious mind. Your vivid dreams are a means for your mind to process all the changes you’re going through or about to go through.
What do pregnancy dreams mean?
According to surveys conducted by various researchers and organizations, people experience various types of pregnancy dreams. We’ve put together a list of the most common pregnancy dreams and their probable meanings:
What do they mean?
|You aren’t pregnant, but dreaming about being pregnant
|Spouse, close friend, a family member, or another couple is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant
|Being told by someone that they’re pregnant
|Dreaming of being pregnant with twins
|Dreaming that you’re pregnant but you aren’t planning
|Dreaming about labour, delivering your baby, or child-rearing when you’re pregnant
|Dreaming of death
|Dreaming of miscarriage or abortion
Even though pregnancy dreams are very common, and have nothing to do with reality, it is crucial for would-be mamas to have a good night’s sleep and not be disturbed by strange nightmares. Here are some tips that’ll help you sleep better:
- Avoid consuming drinks before going to bed
- Maintain a dark, quiet, and ambient temperature in your room
- Turn off the TV, close the curtains, and take any electrical gadgets out of the room
- Avoid taking long naps in the afternoon as it can affect your sleep at night
- Take some time out for yourself before going to sleep. You can read a book, practice deep breathing, have a bath or shower, or listen to relaxing music
To conclude, it is important to remember that your pregnancy dreams have a more emotional than rational meaning. So the next time you dream about a baby bump or chubby cheeks, there’s no need to break your head looking for what they mean. Relax mama, everything’s gonna be alright.
- Why do dream changes happen during pregnancy? The dramatically fluctuating levels of hormones during pregnancy can be one of the major causes of pregnancy dreams, but it’s not the only reason you have them. Whenever you are under a lot of stress or making changes in your life or lifestyle in general, your ideas find their way to your subconscious mind. Your vivid dreams are a means for your mind to process all the changes you’re going through or about to go through.
- Why do I dream of a baby dying? Such dreams of miscarriage and abortion are normal during pregnancy. These are usually caused by reliving past experiences in your dreams. It is advised to quit smoking and drinking if you are doing so.
- Is it possible that dreaming of getting pregnant is a sign? There is no scientific proof that having dreams about being pregnant is an indication that you are pregnant. A pregnancy dream, according to some experts, is a sign that your mind is gearing up for something new in your life.
Alicia Saville did her degree in psychology at the University of Edinburgh. She is interested in mental health and well-being.