It is undeniable that communication plays an essential role in our daily lives, at home, at school, and even part of our daily tasks at the workplace. It also ensures the quality of the workplace’s operation, which significantly affects work outputs.
Communication improvement can be made by choosing and using the signs or symbols common to all the participants of the communication process, which is not always just the language, but also pictures, gestures, etc., resulting from the company’s shared culture and experience. Gestures or images can be used to better explain the message to the employee. The quality of communication is the basis for the work’s success.
It cannot be denied that effective communication in the workplace is a fundamental part of its triumph.
The quality of communication in the workplace can eradicate pointless problems and encourage better work performance. The capacity to communicate efficiently in the workplace can increase overall output and create a strong bond. If the employees consider the views of others, they will be involved in cooperating more and find the best solution. However, when teams fail to communicate efficiently, the results are detrimental to the company’s performance.
Here are some ways to guarantee efficient workplace communication:
- Initiate the conversation. Take the initiative to start communicating first, do not assume that someone else will do it. To make the communication more successful, it is better to meet in person and discuss the most important topics to avoid pointless confusion.
- Formulate your thoughts and ideas. Think before you speak or start the conversation. It would be more effective if you have organised your views and verbalised what you want to say to initiate the talk.
- Be prepared for diverse responses. Whenever communicating, you need to put yourself in the role of the person who listens to you. You will be ready for several answers and maybe, possible disagreements, and it will be easier to protect your opinion and suggestion.
- Organise a meeting or a small talk. This is considered the best method to have effective communication with a team. The conference opens the opportunity for the whole team to meet and deliberate – to present issues – and each team member has the chance to promote their opinion.
- Use modest words. Communicating with your colleagues, try to use words that are easy to understand. If you use ambiguous words or sentence structures, it might be too long for the people to understand the main idea you want to convey, and you may have to spend your time explaining it over again.
- Be an active listener. Listening effectively to each other’s words is one of the significant problems in all sorts of communication. Listen attentively to what the other person needs to tell you. Before answering, see to it that you have really heard and understood everything appropriately.
- Avoid repetition. If you want your colleagues to remark on your ideas, do not get carried away with circumlocution. Tell your colleagues briefly and precisely what you want them to understand and ask if everything is clear.
Workplace communication is a vital component for the company’s success and a harmonious relationship between the employees. However, we individually express our thoughts, so it would sound better if we know when to speak our ideas and establish a routine of listening more to others.
Rona dela Rosa is the content manager of Psychreg. She is an associate professor at the Polytechnic College of the City of Meycauyan.