As a parent of a growing toddler, you want to do everything that you can in order to keep your child happy and healthy. One of the best ways to ensure that your child is getting the nutrients that they need is by incorporating a toddler multivitamin into their daily routine. A toddler multivitamin contains a blend of essential vitamins and minerals that are essential for helping kids develop and keep their immune systems strong. If you’re wondering how to find the perfect multivitamin to give your child, it’s important to consider the vitamins and minerals included in the multivitamin, as well as the ingredients that the multivitamin is made of. Read on for a full breakdown of everything you need to know about this essential nutritional supplement.
What is a toddler multivitamin?
A toddler multivitamin is a form of nutritional supplement that contains a serving of essential vitamins and minerals that kids need every day. While we get a good majority of the vitamins and minerals that we need from the food that we consume, supplementing with a multivitamin ensures that we still get a dose of the nutrients that we might not get enough of from the things that we eat. A toddler multivitamin is specifically formulated with the proper serving size of each vitamin and mineral that toddlers need. Toddlers typically require a lower dose of vitamins and minerals are given their size and age. Once they grow a bit more and get a bit older, they can graduate to children’s multivitamins, and eventually adult multivitamins. Whatever your age, a multivitamin can help you get the nutrients you need in order to maintain your health.
What vitamins and minerals should I look for in a toddler multivitamin?
When searching for the perfect multivitamin to give to your child, you’re going to want to make sure that it contains a good blend of essential vitamins and minerals, including:
- Vitamin A. Vitamin A supports proper eye health, immune system function, bone strength, as well as the development and replication of our cells.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C supports our immune system, which helps to keep us from getting sick. In addition to that, Vitamin C helps our bodies to absorb iron (an important mineral that we get from our food), and it helps our wounds heal faster.
- Vitamin D. While we get the majority of our vitamin D from the sun, it’s incredibly easy to become deficient in this mineral, especially if you live in a place that’s cloudy throughout the year. Vitamin D supports the absorption of calcium so our bones and teeth stay strong.
- Zinc. Zinc is a mineral that supports our immune system, DNA replication, and cell growth.
- Calcium. Calcium supports bone health and development and is essential in helping little ones grow and stay strong.
- Selenium. Selenium is a mineral that supports DNA replication and repairing cells that might get damaged due to injury or illness. It also helps to regulate the function of our thyroids.
- Biotin. Biotin is a mineral that supports the development of healthy skin, nail, and hair cells. Additionally, it helps the body break food down into energy.
- Iodine. Iodine is a mineral that helps the body create thyroid hormones and supports proper metabolism function.
What kinds of ingredients are used in toddler multivitamins?
The ingredients used to make toddler multivitamins vary depending on the brand. However, not all toddler multivitamin ingredients are made equal! Many brands utilize synthetic ingredients and heavy amounts of added sugars, which reduce the nutritional benefit of the multivitamin. When looking for a toddler multivitamin to give your child, try to find one that is made from organic fruit and vegetable ingredients, and a natural sweetener, like monk fruit. Investing in a multivitamin that avoids unhealthy ingredients and sugars ensures that your child gets their daily dose of vitamins and minerals in the best way possible.
What is the proper toddler multivitamin serving size?
Serving sizes of toddler multivitamins depend on the brand, but the most common serving size is one to two gummy multivitamins once a day. They’re easy to incorporate into your child’s morning routine, or you can have your child take them as a sweet treat after dinner. Some multivitamins require you to take them with food, so be sure to check the label of the brand that you get for the proper serving size and time to take them.
A toddler multivitamin is a nutritional supplement that can help your child get the daily dose of vitamins and minerals that they need. When looking for a toddler multivitamin to give your little one, be sure to find one that contains a broad spectrum of essential vitamins and minerals. Additionally, you’ll want to make sure that the vitamin that you choose is free of excessive sugars and artificial ingredients. By incorporating a toddler multivitamin into your child’s routine, you can help them stay healthy as they continue to grow.
Ellen Diamond did her degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. She is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.