For many people who want to become more active and spend more time outdoors, walking 5 miles a day is the perfect choice.
This is because being outdoors benefits your physical and mental health. Walking is a simple and affordable way to increase your activity levels, and if you’re not interested in a more strenuous workout like running or cycling, it might be the perfect fit for you.
Despite the fact that walking is exercise, it is often overlooked as such. But knowing that it is a powerful way to make lifestyle changes and improve your overall health is essential. If you set and achieve a daily goal, such as walking 5 miles a day, it can be a game-changer for your life.
What to expect from walking 5 miles a day?
Walking 5 miles a day will help you burn up to 500 calories. That means you can burn about 3,500 calories in a week.
However, the number of calories burned may vary depending on your weight, walking speed, and calorie deficit. Also, things you follow, like having a healthy diet and not skipping meals, play a key role.
Moreover, you can use fat-burning supplements for weight loss, but it is essential to use them from good brands such as Riti. This helps you burn more calories than you consume.
Let’s consider three scenarios for a 180-pound person:
- In scenario 1, if the calories consumed and burned are balanced. The individual will see just a little change in terms of weight.
- In scenario 2, if the calorie intake is 1,800 per day, the person is burning more calories. This will lead to weight loss.
- In scenario 3, the calorie intake is higher than the calories burned. Hence, weight gain will take place.
Health benefits of walking 5 miles a day
According to experts, walking regularly is essential for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Thus, by walking every day, you can achieve the following benefits:
Weight loss and burning of calories
Walking can be a great option if you are looking for a beginner-friendly and low-impact way to lose weight and burn calories.
It is an excellent alternative to more strenuous activities like running and HIIT, which can cause significant stress on your joints and muscles. So low-impact exercise is safer and more comfortable, especially if you dislike intense workouts.
Lowered blood pressure
Regular walking can have significant benefits for your blood pressure and heart rate. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), walking can balance your blood pressure. These findings are crucial because high blood pressure (hypertension) can increase the risk of developing heart disease. Physical activity and lifestyle habits are vital for maintaining healthy blood pressure levels.
Improved heart health
According to the American Heart Association, walking is a great exercise for maintaining heart health. Consistently walking for at least 30 minutes daily will significantly reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke by 35% and type 2 diabetes by 40%.
Also, walking will positively affect cholesterol levels and overall heart health. Therefore, walking in your daily routine is highly recommended for a healthier lifestyle.
Walking will benefit your mood by enhancing blood flow and circulation to your brain and body. Furthermore, it favours your central nervous system by generating “feel-good” endorphins. These hormones are also responsible for the familiar “runner’s high” you may experience after running. Additionally, endorphins serve as your body’s natural pain relief system and help you feel relaxed and at ease.
How much can you lose by walking 5 miles a day?
According to research, losing approximately 1 pound of fat requires burning 3,500 calories. So, if you walk 20 steps, it burns 1 calorie. If you walk 10,000 steps (5 miles), you will burn 500 calories.
Walking 5 miles a day and taking a fat burner supplement like PhenQ will help you burn 500 calories; you may lose around 1 pound per week. People struggling with weight loss can combine this approach with other lifestyle changes, like eating a healthy diet or taking fat-burning pills. This will be a powerful way to lose weight.
Tips for walking 5 miles a day
Now that you know more about the pros and cons of walking 5 miles a day, here’s how to get started:
- Take it slowly. If you lead a sedentary lifestyle and want to become more active, it’s important to start slowly before jumping into a daily walking routine. Walking 5 miles daily can be physically demanding, so take it one step at a time and take regular breaks for recovery.
- Wear the right shoes. It’s important to wear the right shoes depending on the terrain you’ll be walking on. Some people prefer running shoes for walking 10,000 steps a day, while others find a pair of walking shoes designed for the task more suitable. You choose the appropriate footwear to ensure a comfortable and safe walking experience.
- Expect muscle soreness. Muscle soreness and stiffness may occur within 24 hours after a walk. Gentle stretching and activities like yoga and Pilates are recommended to ease discomfort.
- Stay hydrated. Although walking is a low-impact physical activity, it is crucial to remain hydrated before, during, and after your walk. Insufficient hydration can lead to exhaustion, muscle cramps, and soreness. Therefore, always keeping a water bottle with you during your walk is advisable.
- Walk with a friend: Walking with a friend is a more enjoyable way to achieve daily steps. Consider joining a walking group to socialise while exercising.
These are some exclusive tips that you should follow when walking 5 miles a day. However, it’s important to note that only walking may not be enough to achieve your weight-loss goals.
It is essential to include other healthy alternatives, such as maintaining a complete sleep cycle, following a protein-rich diet, eating fruits, and taking fat-burning supplements.
Therefore, there are some natural supplements that can assist you in achieving your desired fitness goals. It has compiled a list of fat-burning supplements combined with a healthy diet and proper workout routine. It can do wonders for shedding those extra pounds and toning your body. Whether you’re getting ready for a wedding or aiming for a chiselled physique, these supplements can help you get there.
Losing weight is a difficult task that requires a combination of strategies to achieve the best results. One of the essential strategies is creating a calorie deficit with a weight loss supplement, which will help you burn more calories than you consume. This can be done by reducing your calorie intake or increasing your physical activity.
Also, regular physical activity, such as walking, is another critical weight-loss strategy. But many people find walking 5 miles daily difficult, but it’s achievable. It’s important to start slowly and gradually increase the distance as you get comfortable.
Adam Mulligan, a psychology graduate from the University of Hertfordshire, has a keen interest in the fields of mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.