Department of Population Health
University of Otago, Christchurch
Who we are
The University of Otago is one of New Zealand’s largest and most research-intensive universities, currently enjoying a high position in the QS World University ranking in the top 3%. It is a leader across all fields of academic endeavour regularly topping the New Zealand Tertiary Education Commission’s education performance indicators.
At the Department of Population Health we work to understand the practice of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting the health of entire populations and population subgroups. This is a key goal in Aotearoa New Zealand to reduce health inequalities. The Department also teaches undergraduate medical students in their clinical years (years 4–6) and also offers a variety of postgraduate programmes in public health.
In this role you will be required to:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate students;
- Participate in research studies and contribute to the development of new research projects;
- Supervise research for master’s and PhD students; and,
- Be actively engaged with University and participate in various committees.
This is a rare opportunity to combine a successful academic career with the work-life balance people at University of Otago enjoy. We foster a collaborative and collegial approach to teaching and research.
Skills and experience
- PhD degree in an applicable area;
- Expertise in health systems and/or health policy;
- Proven track record in research with experience in mixed methods or qualitative research;
- Experience in relevant teaching at postgraduate level; and,
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the Treaty of Waitangi, particularly in relation to public health and the University environment.
This is a permanent, full-time confirmation path position.
Specific enquiries may be directed to Associate Professor Gillian Abel, Head of the Department of Population Health, via the contact details below.
How to apply
Candidates are requested to submit the following:
- cover letter
- Three referee contact details
To submit your application please click the apply button below. Applications quoting reference number 1801567 will close on Monday, 1st October 2018.
- Contact: Gillian Abel (email@example.com) Tel: +64 3 364 3619
- Position details: Information statement
- Guidelines for academic positions: Guidelines
- Further information: Department website
- Send an email with a link to this vacancy
- Location: Christchurch
- Relocation: Support
- Immigration: Immigration and visas
- Primary location: NZL-SI-Christchurch
- Employment status: Permanent full-time
- Salary level and range: Senior Lecturer / Senior Research Fellow ($98,682–$113,519)
Psychreg is not responsible for the contents of external websites. Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only. Never disregard professional psychological or medical advice, nor delay in seeking professional advice or treatment because of something you have read on this website. We run a directory of mental health service providers.
We publish differing views. The views and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position of Psychreg and its correspondents. Any content provided by our authors are of their opinion and are not intended to malign any individual or organisation. You’re welcome to write for us.
Read our full disclaimer.