Black Friday is one of the most anticipated shopping days of the year, and for good reason. It’s a day when retailers offer discounts on everything from clothes and electronics to home goods and appliances. And while there are many great deals on all sorts of items, one of the best categories to shop on Black Friday is black wardrobe staples.
The fashion possibilities are endless, from the classic black blazer to casual shirts for men. Read on to make the most of the Black Friday sales and give your wardrobe that much-needed splash of sleek, suave, and sophisticated black.
The quintessential black blazer
- Versatility at its best. A black blazer is a wardrobe staple for every man. It’s a versatile piece that can add a layer of sophistication to formal attire.
- Styling tips. Pair a well-fitted black blazer with a white shirt, tailored trousers, and oxford shoes for a formal look. Combine it with a grey casual shirt, dark jeans, and loafers for a more laid-back style.
Black slim-fit jeans
- Everyday staple. Black slim-fit jeans are an all-rounder when it comes to men’s fashion. They offer comfort without compromising on style.
- Styling tips. Perfect for casual outings, team them up with casual shirts for men, a bomber jacket, and sneakers. Match them with a black blazer, a crisp shirt, and leather boots for evening gatherings.
- Timeless classic. The black turtleneck sweater is iconic, exuding an air of intelligence and style.
- Styling tips. Pair it with a black blazer, formal trousers, and Chelsea boots for a smart, monochrome look. For a relaxed yet chic vibe, wear it with beige chinos and loafers.
Black leather jacket
- Edgy and stylish. Nothing says rugged and edgy like a black leather jacket. It’s a must-have for adding a bit of attitude to your wardrobe.
- Styling tips. Combine with a white t-shirt, black jeans, and combat boots for a classic biker look. Layer over a hoodie with cargo pants and sneakers for a street-style outfit.
Black formal shoes
- Sophistication personified. Black formal shoes epitomise elegance in men’s fashion.
- Styling tips. Ideal for business and formal events, pair them with a suit or black trousers and a blazer. They can also be worn with semi-formal attire, like a blazer and dark jeans combo.
Black polo t-shirt
- Casual yet refined. A black polo t-shirt strikes the right balance between casual and sophisticated.
- Styling tips. Wear them with khaki pants and loafers for a business casual look. Pair with shorts and espadrilles for a comfortable summer outing.
- Winter essential. A black overcoat is practical for colder months and adds a layer of refinement to any outfit.
- Styling tips. Perfect over a suit for a formal appearance. Wear it over a sweater, jeans, and boots for a casual yet polished look.
Black henley shirt
- Relaxed and trendy. A black Henley shirt is a stylish alternative to the basic t-shirt, adding a touch of sophistication.
- Styling tips. Combine it with denim and sneakers for a casual dinner date. Wear it as a layer under a black blazer with trousers and loafers for a smart yet casual vibe.
- Comfort meets style. For those casual days when comfort is key, a black tracksuit is your go-to.
- Styling tips. Ideal for spending a relaxing day at home or running errands. Pair with a t-shirt and trainers for a sporty look.
- Smart casual must-have. Black chinos are a fantastic alternative to jeans, offering comfort with a touch of class.
- Styling tips.Wear them with a checked shirt and a leather belt for a weekend look. Team up with a formal shirt and a black blazer for office wear or smart occasions.
General style tips to keep in mind
- Less is more. While black is versatile, remember not to over-accessorise.
- Textures and patterns. Play with textures like velvet or patterns such as stripes to break the monotony.
- Footwear. Black shoes are a classic, but don’t shy away from contrasting with browns or even whites.
- Layering with purpose. The art of layering is especially important with black. Introduce different shades and materials, like a charcoal cardigan over a jet-black tee. It not only creates dimension but also allows for versatility in different settings.
- Fit is everything. No matter the colour, fit commands power. With black, any ill-fitting area is accentuated. Ensure your clothes are tailored to your form, paying attention to nuances like sleeve length and trouser break.
- Accessorise with care. While limiting accessories is wise, the ones you choose should be purposeful. A sleek black belt, minimalist cufflinks, or even a muted pocket square can enhance your outfit’s elegance without overshadowing the primary hue.
Garment care hacks you must bookmark
Caring for black garments is essential to retaining their colour and texture. Here are some useful tips to help you get the maximum life out of your black wardrobe:
- Wash inside out. This prevents the black from fading and keeps your clothes looking fresh.
- Cold water wash. Warm water can fade the colour. Stick to cold water to retain the richness.
- Avoid direct sunlight. Dry black clothing in the shade to ensure the colour doesn’t fade.
- Limit use of harsh detergents. Some detergents are pretty abrasive and can cause black garments to fade faster. Opt for mild detergents that are gentle on fabrics to prolong the life of your clothes.
- Use fabric softeners sparingly. While fabric softeners give clothes a soft feel, they can affect the intensity of the colour over time. If you must use them, choose those specifically designed for dark clothing.
- Store properly. Always ensure your black clothes are completely dry before storing. This prevents any chance of mildew. Moreover, cloth garment bags, rather than plastic ones, can help the fabric breathe, preserving its freshness.
Black is, without a doubt, a colour that spells class, sophistication, and versatility. Make the most of the deals available this Black Friday and revamp your wardrobe with these timeless black pieces. Whether you’re attending a formal event or just a casual gathering, the colour black will never disappoint.
Ellen Diamond, a psychology graduate from the University of Hertfordshire, has a keen interest in the fields of mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.