Last 21 September, the result of Times Higher Education World University Rankings (THEWUR) 2016-2017 was announced. The University of Oxford has emerged to be the first UK university to top the league table in its 12-year history. It knocked the five-time leader, the California Institute of Technology, into second place.
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings (THEWUR) 2016-2017 lists the 980 top universities in the world, making it its biggest international league table to date. It is the only global university performance table to judge world class universities across all of their core missions – teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. Here are the top 10 universities in the US for Psychology:
- California Institute of Technology – The Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) at Caltech is focused on understanding the human experience – from the evolution of culture and institutions to social, political, and economic behaviour, from the products of the imagination to the conceptual underpinnings of science.
- Stanford University – Jordan Hall is named after the first president of Stanford, David Starr Jordan, and home to the Department of Psychology of Stanford. The Department is ranked as number one in the US, and has been the leading psychology department among American universities for decades. This extraordinary achievement was honoured by the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. in 2003. The Stanford Psychology Department is located on the Main Quad of the Stanford campus.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – The mission of the MIT Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences is to reverse engineer the human mind. Its headquarters, Building 46, is home to the collaborative, interdisciplinary spirit that inspired its beginnings in 1964.
- Harvard University – The field of psychology first emerged at Harvard in the late 1800’s under the scholarship of William James, and ever since then Harvard has been at the forefront of the field. B.F. Skinner, Gordon Allport, Jerome Bruner, George Miller, and Henry Murray are some of the pioneers who have worked in the Department of Psychology, which continues to be among the top-ranked programmes in the US.
- University of California, Berkeley – In 1921-1922, in keeping with a growing trend across the nation, Berkeley’s Department of Psychology was established as a separate unit, emerging from the Department of Philosophy. For nearly a century, the department has been a national and international leader in psychological research and the superior educational programmes that it has provided to undergraduates and doctoral students.
- University of Chicago – The Department of Psychology at Chicago has a longstanding tradition of producing research that results in real-world impact. From local initiatives in neighborhoods surrounding the University campus to tools used by teachers in classrooms and parents at home around the world, Department faculty and students are constantly making innovations that change the lives of people everywhere.
- Yale University – The Department of Psychology at Yale conducts research in major areas of the field, including behavioural neuroscience, clinical, cognitive, developmental, and social/personality psychology. The BA in psychology has been designed to provide undergraduates reasonable grounding in psychology in the context of a general liberal arts education. At the graduate level, the primary goal is the training of research investigators in academic and applied settings.
- University of Pennsylvania – The Department of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest continuously functioning psychology department in North America.
- University of California, Los Angeles – Even before 1900, the Los Angeles State Normal School was sufficiently progressive to have developed a Department of Psychology. By 1900, there was a laboratory with adequate equipment and courses in general, child, educational, and clinical psychology. In addition, there were courses in experimental methods and experimental psychology. Thus, psychology at Los Angeles had its antecedence less than 20 years after the formal founding of the discipline in 1879.
- Johns Hopkins University – Since 1883, when the first psychological laboratory in the US was founded at Johns Hopkins University, the department has been investigating the most fundamental questions of behaviour, mind and brain. Dedicated to research, not clinical training, the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Johns Hopkins has one of the top-ranked psychology departments in the world.
Dennis Relojo is the founder of Psychreg and is also the Editor-in-Chief of Psychreg Journal of Psychology. Aside from PJP, he sits on the editorial boards of peer-reviewed journals, and is a Commissioning Editor for the International Society of Critical Health Psychology. A Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society, Dennis holds a master’s degree in psychology from the University of Hertfordshire. His research interest lies in the intersection of psychology and blogging. You can connect with him through Twitter @DennisRelojo and his website.
Some of our contents and links are sponsored. Psychreg is not responsible for the contents of external websites. Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only. Never disregard professional psychological or medical advice, nor delay in seeking professional advice or treatment because of something you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer.