To answer the question of how to write a resume correctly, how to write a good resume, and how to write a resume that will give you advantages when applying for a job, you first need to have a good understanding of what a resume is, and of course – at least once look at a sample resume. And by learning the secret of a resume and skillfully applying the rules for writing a resume, you will get more chances to get the job you want.
A resume is the first thing you need to have when looking for a job. If you need more about jobs in Qatar for foreigners and resume formats for it, go to Layboard now.
We can say that when applying for a job, the mandatory provision of a resume is one of the elements of modern business etiquette, but at the same time it is one of the most effective means of advertising in the labour market.
A summary is a brief conclusion from what has been said, written or read, concisely setting out the main points.
In relation to job search, a resume is a description of a person’s abilities that make him competitive in the labour market. It should reflect the three main qualities required of an employee: education, productivity and unlimited abilities. In some cases, you can find the abbreviation CV, which literally translated means “biography” or “life course” and is a summary of creative workers; it presents the results of labour, while places of work are not indicated. The CV style is more often aimed at getting a specific job, while the CV contains more detailed and structured information about a person’s career path. In the context of our time, a document designated CV or “resume” (French resume – a summary of the main content) does not so much describe the professional life of the applicant as it serves as the basis for an invitation to an interview. A resume carries a lot of positive things, both for the job seeker and for the employer. For the applicant – “this is an ideal way to present yourself in the most favourable light, and for the employer – a kind of method of screening out unsuitable candidates.”
The purpose of the resume is to draw attention to yourself at the first, as usual, correspondence acquaintance, to make a favourable impression and to encourage the employer to invite you to a personal meeting.
From this follows the main principle of writing a resume – to emphasize all the positive points and make it invisible, as far as possible, what is not your strong point.
What is important to know about a resume
You need to write a summary like this:
- So that a potential employer perceives that such a resume is a source of your biographical data and information about your professional experience
- That it would provide additional information that will interest the employer and allow you to prepare for a full-fledged interview with you
- So that such a resume answers the question of whether you meet the requirements set by the employer for this job
The resume, which the employer has read before the interview, allows you to quickly find out the main thing about the candidate, formulate additional questions and not write down the necessary data about the candidate, which reduces the time and increases the effectiveness of the interview. Most often, personnel issues are supervised by personnel managers, secretaries, office managers, heads of sales departments, and even chief accountants. Recruitment specialists use a subjective resume selection method, as well as a selection method based on a number of formal features (experience and skills, professional qualities, education, gender, age, etc.). In the first case, the subjective perception of the manager is of great importance, in the second – a professionally compiled resume, emphasizing the merits and skillfully levelling the shortcomings of the applicant. Based on the summary, the first and rather stable opinion about a person is formed, which, however, is subjective and depends on the stereotypes of people’s perceptions. If it was not possible to receive an invitation to an interview, then the resume for some reason did not attract the attention of the employer. The only chance to succeed with a resume is the moment it is read for the first time. As a rule, it takes no more than 2-3 minutes to view a resume. That is why when compiling it, a standard form is used. According to most employers, it is very important that the information in the resume be as complete and concise as possible, and most importantly, that the applicant can confirm all the data during the interview.
To write a good resume, you must follow the principle of selectivity. Information for the resume should be selected based on its objectives, that is, the resume should include a description of exactly those aspects of your experience that are significant for the position you are applying for.
By form, resumes are divided into professional (universal), chronological, functional, chronological-functional, targeted and academic.
- Most often, a professional (or universal) resume is used, in which all information is presented in blocks. According to experts, this form is preferable to use for those who have everything in order with a track record.
- If there is not enough work experience, or there are breaks in the work experience, it is better to place information in a functional resume. A functional resume is used when describing specific work experience and occupation when there is no need to arrange in the chronological order process of accumulating this experience. It focuses on education and specialised knowledge and skills. Also, this form of resume is acceptable in cases where there was a long break in work or there is a need to change profession.
- If the main advantage is work experience, the resume should be compiled in chronological order, listing all places of work and names of enterprises. A chronological or retrospective summary is most suitable for professionals who have worked in the same field for many years and wish to continue their activities in it.
- The chronological-functional resume is used most often to highlight some special achievements, while at the same time, it maintains the chronological sequence of the presentation of work experience and education.
- A targeted resume is completed when attention is focused on applying for a specific position and the request is supported by a statement of knowledge and abilities.
- An academic resume is used to search for a teaching job. An independent part of such a resume is a list of scientific papers and publications, scientific achievements, awards and titles.
The biggest secret of the resume: you need to write a resume not for the candidacy of the applicant, but for the requirement of a particular employer, taking into account the peculiarities of the company’s business.
And therefore, one of the main rules of the resume: you should come to each new interview with a new resume and never without it.
So, a well-written resume is your assistant in finding a decent job, so it is recommended to constantly develop your own resume writing skills.
How to write a resume
A resume is an official document and the rules for writing which are regulated by the office management manual.
It is necessary to consider several options for a resume – for sending by mail (or handing it in person), by fax, in electronic form by E-mail. However, the texts must be identical. The design may vary – a well-chosen photo will decorate the resume, but think about how it will look if received by fax.
- The first immutable rule is that the volume of the resume cannot exceed one, a maximum of two A4 pages, and it is desirable that the key information is on the first page. If the volume of this does not allow it, then think about what information you can donate. However, if a person has a lot of work experience, this creates certain difficulties and limitations, but when typing a resume on a computer, it is possible to get around this rule: change the font size, although this is not desirable – the resume should be easy to read.
- If the summary is longer than one page, it is indicated at the end of the pages that the continuation is on the next page. On all sheets, except for the first, the sheet number is printed and the surname is indicated.
- If the summary turned out to be one incomplete page in terms of volume, the information must be arranged so that the page is completely occupied by text.
- To write a “correct” resume, you must use one font, preferably Times New Roman or Arial. Many fonts of different sizes are unreadable! A strict design style is an indispensable condition. You should also not demonstrate the capabilities of Adobe Photoshop filters: a resume is a document.
- As for the font size, the standard font size for resumes is 12-gauge. All content must be the same size.
- Each section of the resume should be separated from the previous one.
- Headings should be bold and/or underlined.
- Be sure to check the spelling (button F7 in the Word editor). A resume with errors has no chance.
- The resume should be written in plain language.
- For documents of this type, the following page layout is recommended: top margin – 2 cm, right margin – 2 cm, bottom margin – 2 cm, left margin 2.5 cm. At the same time, the font reduction option is acceptable only if the resume is sent to the employer by E-mail or delivered personally. In the case of sending a resume by fax, it is better not to use a font size of less than 12, otherwise, the resume will not be readable.
For the resume, white paper of good quality is used.
So, a well-written resume is your assistance in finding a decent job, so it is recommended to constantly develop your own skills and know how to write a resume. However, a resume is only a document, it will not replace the richness of your personality, which means that you need to learn how to effectively present yourself during interviews and interviews.
Helen Baumeister, a psychology graduate from the University of Hertfordshire, has a keen interest in the fields of mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.