When it comes to good health, simple things make all the difference.
If you are looking for inspiration to get some good habits into your daily routine, Linwoods new Healthy Habit Tracker is a great place to start to form habits for better health.
This one-week tracker will help get you back on track and focused on small things that’ll make a big difference to your feelings.
Aim for 10,000 steps a day
Move your booty and get your steps in. If you have been working from home or have a sedentary job, it can be easy to stay stuck to your desk all day long, and before you know it, you haven’t managed to move much further than the front door to meet and greet the postman.
Use your phone or a fitness tracker to determine how many steps you are hitting daily.
10,000 steps are your daily goal, and it works out to about five miles or an hour and a half of walking daily.
- Start your day with a walk around the block.
- Get out for 15–20 minutes during your lunch break.
- End your working day with a brisk walk to help you switch off from your working day.
- If you can, get the bus to work and get off a stop earlier than usual, or park further away and stride out a few extra steps. It soon adds up.
- Use the stairs more at home or work.
Catch some ZZZ’s
Aim for seven–nine hours of sleep every night. Start your wind down an hour before bedtime by switching off all your devices so that you are not getting into bed feeling tired and overstimulated.
Do something that helps you relax in that hour instead. Read a book, drink some bedtime herbal teas, watch something fun on Netflix or have an Epsom salt bath. Epsom salts contain magnesium which can aid relaxation and soothe aching muscles.
Aim for six–eight glasses of water every day. That’s around one and a half litres a day.
Here are some simple tips to help you reach that goal:
- Start your day with a glass of water – make this the first thing you drink every morning.
- Get a water bottle that you like drinking from – it makes a difference!
- Keep water by your side and sip throughout the day.
- Have a little glass with water and dinner – you will soon begin to miss it if you don’t have it.
- Sip some water while waiting for the kettle to boil when making yourself a cuppa.
Up your flaxseed intake
Your body will thank you for this one. Aim for 20g of flaxseed every day. It is versatile, and you can use it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try stirring into overnight oats, popping on top of smoothies or soups, or serving as a topping on curry or bolognese.
Some of the health benefits you are likely to notice will include:
- Digestive health and more regular bowel movements thanks to the high fibre intake.
- Feeling fuller for longer because of the additional fibre and protein.
- Healthy skin, hair and nails – moisturise your skin from the inside out with omega-3 essential fats.
- Better cholesterol balance – you might overlook this one. Still, your body will be resetting and rebalancing things from the inside out, and one of the benefits of flaxseed in your diet is supporting cardiovascular health.
Check out our recipes for the easiest ways to introduce flaxseed to your diet.
Shake up your wake up
Power your morning with a protein-based breakfast.
A little more protein in your breakfast of choice will help support better energy, reduce cravings and help to keep you going right through until lunchtime.
Here are some ideas:
- Try using Linwoods Milled Chia Seeds to make a delicious chia pot with natural yoghurt or kefir, berries or chopped fruit and a touch of cinnamon or vanilla for natural sweetness.
- Overnight oats with some grated apple and ground cinnamon. Add a handful of walnuts and a spoonful of milled flaxseed for protein.
- Natural yoghurt served with your favourite fruit and Linwoods Crunchy Seeds Clusters for a crunchy topping.
- An omelette makes a great breakfast – perfect with spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese.