Home Health & Wellness 8 Signs That Say It’s Time to Visit A Podiatrist

8 Signs That Say It’s Time to Visit A Podiatrist

Published: Last updated:
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Do you have continuous discomfort? Do you think it’s normal? If you said ‘yes’ to any of the answers, you must visit a podiatrist. 

If you have constant foot pain because of a sports injury, nail problem, joint pain, you must know that it is not normal. Since prevention is always better than cure, consulting with a podiatrist is always a wise option.

A podiatrist is a medical specialist who treats a range of ankle and foot problems, assesses your foot health so the imbalances don’t cause pain somewhere else in the body, and advises you on the correct shoe type. 

If you happen to experience these conditions, make sure you contact a podiatrist. 

Never-ending healing pain

Plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, fracture, heel spur, bursitis, and sprain in the knee are some common causes of heel pain. That said, if you experience heel pain for the first time, you must take proper rest, but if that pain is severe and never-ending, you must visit a podiatrist at Market Street Clinic. The doctor will perform a physical exam and take an X-ray to determine the cause of the pain. Once they know what’s causing the heel pain, they will be able to suggest a treatment plan.


Diabetic patients are more prone to foot problems due to poor blood circulation and nerve damage. Therefore, if you have diabetes, you must visit a podiatrist for an annual foot exam so that they can analyse your current foot health and help prevent complications. 

Ingrown toenail

If you have relentless pain in your big toe or if you suspect redness or swelling on or around your toe, that could be because of an ingrown toenail. 

Many people try to treat this condition on their own, but an ingrown toenail can cause infection if not removed properly. Thus, it is wise to visit a podiatrist for proper treatment.  

If your nail has become infected, the doctor will numb the area for removal and prescribe some medications.

Joint pain in ankle or foot

Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the most common causes of joint inflammation in the foot or ankle. That said, if you experience swelling in your feet, limitation in motion of the foot, early morning feet stiffness, or recurring tenderness in a joint, you must see a doctor of podiatrist medicine. They can help suggest a treatment plan and help preserve your joint health.

Troublesome corn or callus

The areas of the thickened skin that develop to protect the foot from irritation are called corns or calluses. Although corns and calluses are not infectious, they can sometimes cause pain or discomfort that can affect your daily activities. If such a condition occurs, you must consult with a podiatrist.

They will first perform a physical examination and then proceed with effective treatment methods. They may prescribe medications to alleviate the pain or suggest changing the shoe type. For larger corns or calluses, they may reduce the size using a surgical blade. Other than that, cortisone injections can also be recommended if the pain doesn’t go away.

Athlete’s foot

Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection that affects the skin of the foot, especially when it is warm, moist and irritated. The common symptoms are itchy, dry skin, inflammation, and flaky skin. Of course, antifungal creams can provide relief. But, if there are no improvements within two weeks, you must book the services of a podiatrist. After determining why the infection is not improving, the doctor will prescribe topical or oral antifungal drugs.

Painful bunion

Do you have a bony bump at the joint where the bottom of your big toe connects your foot? If Yes, then you have a bunion. Over time, bunions swell, turn red, hurt and even feel tender to touch. Although, wearing shoes that don’t crowd your toes can help alleviate the pain. But, if bunions still continue to hurt, you must visit a podiatrist. They can suggest treatments and perform surgery (if necessary).

Strained or broken ankle or foot

If you suspect a strain, sprain or a broken ankle or foot, you must see a podiatrist. They will assess the pain points and proceed with the treatment options. If the podiatrist confirms a strain or sprain, they may recommend rest, ice, compression, and elevation, known as the RICE protocol, to reduce swelling and pain. For more severe injuries, such as a broken bone, immobilisation with a cast or boot might be necessary to ensure proper healing.

In some cases, surgery could be required to repair the damage. Follow-up appointments will be crucial to monitor your progress and make any adjustments to your treatment plan. Additionally, your podiatrist might suggest physical therapy to strengthen the area and prevent future injuries.

Helen Bradfield, a psychology graduate from the University of Hertfordshire, has a keen interest in the fields of mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.

© Copyright 2014–2034 Psychreg Ltd