Psychology is a versatile discipline and encompasses many subfields of study, including clinical and social behaviour, human development, health, sports, cognitive processes, etc. Psychologists study people’s emotions, cognition, and behaviours by observing them, interpreting, and recording how they react. The goal of psychologists is to understand the thought process of their clients and articulate their emotions and behaviours. Psychologists’ job is demanding and rewarding simultaneously. Psychologists work in various settings; while some work independently, several choose to associate themselves with an organization, and numerous work alongside other healthcare workers to promote overall wellness.
A general misconception is that psychologists, psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and counsellors are different names of the same professionals. The truth is while they all deal in psychology mainly, their roles are different from each other, and they provide various services to their clients. Psychologists are not trained medical doctors, but they have insight into human minds. They observe clients closely and help them understand and speak about their emotions and thoughts. Psychologists cannot prescribe medicines, but they refer them to psychiatrists if they think that the clients need them.
Psychology has advanced over the years, and today, it has become a vast field. Many subfields of psychology have emerged, which made psychology a vast area. Today, many people are inclined toward adopting a profession that allows them to serve humanity and draw a substantial salary against their services. Besides, a surge in people’s interest in psychology is visible, and it is constantly rising. People interested in psychology can enrol in an online bachelors in psychology as online education offers flexibility. E-education is gaining momentum as it allows people to make their schedules and fulfil other duties.
Role of psychologists in healthcare facility
Psychologists can look deep into patients’ psychology and assists them in recovery. Additionally, they work to prevent and treat diseases, promote holistic wellbeing, determine the areas of organizations’ improvement and enhance the healthcare system’s functioning. Psychologists’ contribution helps healthcare facility centres deliver better healthcare services. Below we are giving an inclusive insight into the role of psychologists in a healthcare facility:
- Managing illnesses. Health psychologists conduct researches and dive deep into patients’ psychology to devise techniques for managing illnesses. Sometimes patients suffer from incurable diseases that they can work through treatments. These patients need to live with some adjustments, and health psychologists help them deal with and accept the new reality of their life.
- Prevention of diseases. Psychologists work to make the environment health-friendly. They strive to make people understand that modifying lifestyles can help prevent illnesses. Numerous practices can strengthen the immunity system and support people in fighting off germs, viruses, and bacteria. Furthermore, they educate people about the consequences of diseases and motivate them to incorporate healthy habits.
- Promote wellness. Health psychologists in healthcare facilities promote overall well-being. They emphasise that overall wellness means to be in the state of complete physical, mental, emotional, and social health. Health psychologists enlighten people that physical, social, psychological, and emotional health are connected. When one suffers from one, it harms the other aspects. They encourage the behaviour of doing exercise, following a balanced diet, and taking care of mental health. Health psychologists raise awareness of the significance of oral hygiene, maintaining cleanliness, self-assessment, and regular medical scans after reaching a certain age.
- Identify health-damaging behaviours. Health psychologists understand that while genetic diseases and contagious diseases are prevalent, several physiological and behavioural factors influence overall health. They investigate and determine behaviours that can harm health. Smoking, lack of rest and sleep, drug addiction, abuse, consumption of unhealthy food can be determinantal to health. These habits may not have an immediate negative effect on people, but they harm health in the long term. Health psychologists work to pinpoint other life patterns that can cause illnesses.
- Investigate effects of communication between patients and doctors. Health psychologists have an insight into psychology, and they understand the impact of powerful communication. In healthcare originations, they investigate the nature and effects of communication between healthcare professionals and patients. They intervene and improve it to remove any misunderstanding to ensure that patients receive the best possible care and recover quickly.
- Psychological impacts. No two patients of the same disease react in the same way. While some may accept their conditions, others may refuse to acknowledge the new reality. Psychologists work with patients and look at the psychological effect of illness on patients and their family members.
Psychologists are slowly becoming an integral part of healthcare organizations as they assist doctors in providing treatments to patients. Health psychologists deal with issues like weight management, stress reduction, improving the recovery process, changing unhealthy habits, smoking cessation, and others. The role of phycologists in medical facility centres includes preventing illnesses by motivating people to adopt healthy lifestyles.
Ellen Diamond did her degree in psychology at the University of Edinburgh. She is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.
Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only; materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Don’t disregard professional advice or delay in seeking treatment because of what you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer.