When a loved one dies due to the negligence of another party, it can be devastating for the family left behind. Not only are they forced to deal with the emotional impact of losing their loved one, but they must also face numerous legal issues associated with wrongful death cases. The legal system can be complicated, making it difficult for families to know where to turn.
A wrongful death attorney can help victims obtain the compensation they need to move forward with their lives. However, you may not know all the reasons why hiring a wrongful death attorney can be beneficial. Here are some of the reasons and benefits you may want to consider.
You can avoid the stress of filing your lawsuit
When you’ve lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, it can be tempting to want to take matters into your own hands. However, if you decide to file a lawsuit against the responsible party yourself instead of hiring an attorney, there are many reasons why this could cause more stress than it’s worth.
- You will have to deal with all the legal paperwork yourself (which is complicated).
- You will have to handle all the communication between yourself and the opposing attorney (which can be stressful).
- If you get any legal advice wrong, it could cause serious problems down the road.
- You will have to take time off work to attend court hearings (which can disrupt your life).
When you hire a wrongful death attorney, they will handle all the legal aspects of your case so that you can focus on grieving and moving forward with your life.
You will have a better chance of winning your case
If you’ve lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, then hiring a wrongful death attorney is essential to have the best chance of winning your case.
- Wrongful death attorneys understand the law inside out. They know how to build a strong case and what evidence needs to be collected.
- The attorneys have extensive experience dealing with insurance companies. They know how to negotiate with them to get the best settlement possible.
- They have a network of experts that they can call on to help strengthen your case. This might include accident reconstruction experts, medical experts, and more.
You don’t have to worry about the cost
When you’re grieving the loss of a loved one, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not you can afford an attorney.
Fortunately, most wrongful death attorneys work on a contingency basis. This means that you don’t have to pay anything upfront – instead, the attorney will take a percentage of the settlement they win for you. You don’t owe them anything if they don’t win your case. But it’s best to discuss the fees in advance with the lawyer before hiring.
You don’t have to go through this alone
When you lose a loved one, it can feel like you’re all alone in the world. But when you hire a wrongful death attorney, you have someone on your side who understands what you’re going through and is there to help you every step of the way.
Your attorney will be there to answer any questions you have, keep you updated on the progress of your case, and provide emotional support when needed.
You may be entitled to more compensation than you realise
If your loved one died due to someone else’s negligence, the compensation you are entitled to might exceed your expectations.
For example, you may be able to claim for:
- Loss of earnings (if your loved one was the sole breadwinner)
- Loss of benefits (such as health insurance)
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
Hiring a wrongful death attorney can be extremely beneficial if you’ve lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence. We are sure the above tips would help you understand the importance of working with an experienced attorney.
Adam Mulligan did his degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. He is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.