Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is caused by a violent blow/jolt to the head whereby an object shatters the skull and goes through brain tissue. TBI can be mild, affecting your brain cells temporarily, or severe, resulting in long-term complications or fatality.
- According to the CDC, there were approximately 223,135 TBI-related hospitalisations in 2019 and 64,362 TBI-related deaths in 2020.
- Annual direct and indirect TBI costs range around $76.5 billion.
- Annually, between 80–90,000, people face the onset of long-term TBI-associated disabilities.
- According to the Georgia Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Registry, Atlanta had 1,393 traumatic brain injury cases in 2021. This includes 158 deaths and 1,235 non-fatal TBIs that resulted in hospitalization or emergency care. The report also showed that the majority of traumatic brain injuries were caused by motor vehicle accidents (42%), falls (38%), and assaults/self-inflicted injuries (20%).
Amidst the physical and emotional upheaval of TBI concerns, taking on the complex world of medical care, insurance claims, and legal matters can be overwhelming. By hiring an Atlanta brain injury lawyer as your unwavering ally after a devastating event, you can secure a fair settlement and navigate the legal process seamlessly. The following are some of the ways experienced attorneys can help you after a TBI.
1. Appropriate advice and expertise on relevant laws
A brain injury attorney assesses the TBI’s circumstances and accordingly provides tailored guidance on the potential for a successful legal claim. The lawyer also offers insight into the various aspects of personal injury law, including negligence, liability, and the intricate process of proving causation.
Skilled brain injury lawyers understand medical and technical aspects related to brain injuries which they use to build a solid case and communicate the extent of damages to the court. This is done by gathering all the necessary medical documents and expert opinions to present a compelling case.
2. Timely filing of claims
Personal injury claims are governed by the statute of limitations, which dictate strict deadlines for seeking immediate legal representation. Savvy brain injury attorneys see that your case is filed within the stipulated time frame, preventing any loss of legal rights and potential compensation.
3. Experience in proving liability
A brain injury lawyer is well-versed in the complexities of personal injury law and clearly understands the factors that contribute to establishing liability in traumatic brain injury cases. Such expertise, guidance, and support during this challenging time help safeguard your rights as the victim and ensures all necessary steps are taken to build a strong case.
4. Accurate assessment of damages
Brain injury attorneys have access to a network of medical experts. These specialists come in handy when you need to accurately assess the TBI’s long-term financial, emotional, and physical impact on the victim and their family. The attorney’s ability to consult with these experts ensures that all aspects of the injury are thoroughly evaluated, which is crucial in building a solid case for compensation.
These attorneys are well-versed in the intricacies of medical and legal jargon, enabling them to communicate with healthcare professionals and interpret medical records effectively. This skill is essential if or when the case goes to court. For one, these intricacies must be presented clearly and compellingly to a jury or judge, thus increasing the chances of fair compensation.
Expertise in negotiations to ensure maximum compensation
A skilled brain injury attorney brings knowledge and skills when dealing with insurers. It’s a fact insurance companies are known to employ tactics designed to minimise payouts. Such strategies include disputing medical expenses or denying liability, leaving you, the victim, with the financial burden and struggling with the repercussions of the injury down the line.
A skilled attorney knows how to navigate these tactics since they understand the fine print of insurance policies. To increase the odds of maximum compensation, a brain injury lawyer advocates for compensation that may cover the following:
- Immediate medical expenses
- Ongoing costs of rehabilitation
- Any necessary modifications to your home or vehicle
Ellen Diamond, a psychology graduate from the University of Hertfordshire, has a keen interest in the fields of mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.