Colours have the power to stir up emotions. It can sway our moods and impact our psychological well-being. That is why colours play a vital role in the overall ambiance of a space. It can transform a space beyond just making it look pretty. Using the right colour scheme can completely change the mood and atmosphere of a room.
It’s incredible how something as simple as a colour can significantly affect an area or room. With colour psychology, you can incorporate them into your space. You can use trendy options from the tile bar to transform the room into the kind of space that you want to achieve.
Let’s dive into the world of colour psychology. Let’s see how you can create a space that truly reflects your desired vibe. These tips will help you learn how to use the power of colour to transform your space instantly.
What psychology says about colours
Familiarize yourself with the psychological associations commonly attributed to colours. Indeed, each person reacts differently to tints. Yet there are general responses that can help you choose the right colours to use. And this can be very helpful when picking the tiles to use.
- Red. The colour red can stimulate conversation and boost appetites. It represents excitement, energy, and passion. Yet, take note that too much red can be overwhelming for some. So use these trendy tile designs sparingly as an accent colour where you want to stir up activity and make it feel lively. It is the best colour for the game room or the living room.
- Orange. Orange brings the combination of the characteristics of red and yellow. It makes the room full of energy and cheerfulness. It gives a space a warm and inviting feel. Orange is often used in social spaces and dining areas. Incorporate this in rooms where enthusiasm and social interaction are frequent.
- Yellow. This colour represents energy, happiness, and optimism. It can bring warmth and cheerfulness to a room. That is why this is highly recommended for kitchens and playrooms. Also, incorporate this in spaces where you want to create a vibrant and joyful ambiance.
- Green. Green symbolises nature, harmony, and balance. The colour gives out a soothing and refreshing effect. When incorporated into a room, it can make one feel rejuvenated. Green is the most recommended colour for offices, living rooms, and spaces where relaxation and a connection with nature are necessary.
- Blue. This colour is calming and peaceful. It can promote relaxation and serenity. Blue can help improve focus and productivity. That is why this colour is ideal for bedrooms, offices, libraries, and other spaces where you want to create a sense of tranquility.
- Purple. This colour brings luxury, creativity, and spirituality into one space. When you incorporate the colour purple in a room, it can add a sense of elegance and sophistication to the space. This colour is best used in areas where you want to create a visually striking accent.
Purpose of the space affects tile colour choices
You can use colours to reinforce the intended function of a given area. In order to pick suitable tiles for the room, make sure you know their purpose. You have to understand the ambiance you hope to achieve.
- Home office or study area. If you are installing tiles for these areas, consider using calming colours. The best choices are blues and greens. These colours can help enhance focus and concentration.
- Living room or social area. These areas need warm-coloured ceramic floor tiles. Your best options are oranges and yellows. These colours help create a welcoming and lively ambiance.
- Bedrooms or relaxation area. You want these rooms to feel calm and relaxing. So cooler tones like blues and purples are your best bet. These can promote a sense of tranquility and restfulness in the space.
Create a colour scheme using trendy tiles
After you have a good idea of the room’s ambiance, the next step is to develop a colour scheme. This will help tie everything together. A well-thought-out colour scheme will combine a number of hues and make them coexist. Setting a colour scheme from the tile bar can be done in a few different ways.
- Monochromatic scheme. If you choose a simple yet elegant look, stick to variations of a single colour. You can use different tints, shades, and tones to help create depth.
- Complementary colours scheme. The combination is best for backsplash tile since these colours are positioned across the colour wheel. It helps create a vibrant feel for the area.
- Analogous colours scheme. This is the exact opposite of a complementary colour scheme. For this, you choose colours adjacent to each other on the colour wheel. An analogous colour scheme creates a harmonious and soothing feel to the room.
- Triadic colour scheme. With this option, you have to select three evenly spaced colours on the colour wheel. A triadic colour scheme creates a balanced combination.
When looking at terrazzo floor tile, you can balance your colour choices by looking at the hues you already have in the area.
Experiment with textures and patterns using tiles
When looking at colour options, do not limit yourself to painted walls. Experimenting with textures and patterns using tiles is a great way to add depth and personality to your space. Here’s how tiles offer a versatile medium for creating unique and eye-catching designs.
- Have a focal point. Create a focal point using vibrant coloured tiles. You can have feature walls or backsplash kitchen tiles.
- Experiment with colours and layout. Create eye-catching patterns by combining different tile colours and layouts. Make sure that you choose tile designs that match your space’s decor.
- Mix and match. Create an interesting surface by mixing tiles with different textures. Build interesting patterns or mosaics using tiles. You can also experiment with different terrazzo tile shapes, sizes, and finishes.
- Add texture. Embossed and raised patterns and 3D tiles are popular today. These tiles can create depth and visual appeal to a flat surface.
Using trendy tiles aims to make a room or area that serves its intended purpose. With the help of colour psychology, you can make your home more inviting and comfortable for you and those who love to spend time there.
Dennis Relojo-Howell is the managing director of Psychreg.