Physiotherapy treatment involves movement and function restoration when a person has been injured, suffered a type of illness or disability through physical methods like exercise, massage, medication, or surgery. Most people believe that one can only work with back or injuries occurring during sports as a physiotherapist. However, that is not always the case. A physiotherapist is a highly trained health professional who deals with many common injuries, illnesses, and ageing. Physiotherapists in Singapore have one major goal- enhancing a patient’s quality of life through different treatments to help ease pain and restore function. If the patient has been permanently injured, the physiotherapist aims at lessening the effects of any dysfunction.
What do physiotherapists do?
Physiotherapists have various roles. They may have to assess a patient’s physical condition to help them diagnose the issue and execute treatment plans. Physiotherapists could also re-train patients to walk and help those who have leg injuries to walk using crutches, frames, and wheelchairs.
Physiotherapists help treat a patient’s illness, but they may also spend time educating their patients and families on how they can prevent injuries and lead healthy lives. Physiotherapists may also be involved in the planning and implementation of fitness programs in the communities. Moreover, they can also give out sick leave certificates if need be.
Throughout their careers, physiotherapists help patients at every stage of life, from infancy to senior years, by taking a holistic approach to address the physical, emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
If you reside in Singapore, you can have access to the best physiotherapy treatments in the country from a reputable physiotherapy clinic such as Balance Core Physiotherapy Centre. Balance Core Physiotherapy Centre treats every injury for the root cause and prevents the recurrence of injuries. A reputable physiotherapy clinic should have a deeper understanding of human biomechanics and be well-equipped to ensure every patient’s well-being is a top priority.
Types of physical therapy
Physiotherapy in Singapore uses therapy for the effective treatment for a variety of conditions. The following treatments can be used in lessening the recovery time after undergoing various surgeries. A physiotherapist can specialize in any area of medicine, including paediatrics, sports medicine, among others, and in these constraints, the areas of practice may include:
- Musculoskeletal. Musculoskeletal physical therapy can be used to treat conditions like sprains, arthritis, back problems, incontinence, issues with posture, and injuries at the workplace. Once the treatment is done, the patient may also undergo rehabilitation to help with recovery.
- Neurological. The neurological physiotherapy practice treats disorders associated with the nervous system. The conditions include stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, Parkinson’s disease, and sclerosis. Also, after brain surgery, the patient can undergo rehabilitation.
- Cardiothoracic. Cardiothoracic physical therapy is used to treat ailments such as asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory illnesses.
Types of treatments in physical therapy
The physiotherapist can tailor every patient’s needs based on their unique requirements. Some of the therapies that clinic for physiotherapy in Singapore offer include:
- Manual therapies. Manual therapies may include manipulation of joints and spinal mobilization, stretches, and manual resistance training.
- Exercises. Exercises are meant to strengthen muscles, retrain posture. And stretch and train cardiovascular.
- Electrotherapy techniques. These techniques include Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), laser therapies, diathermy, and ultrasounds.
Reasons why you should see a physiotherapist
There are many reasons why you may need to visit a physiotherapist. Doctors who offer physiotherapy in Singapore may refer their patients if they need a specific injury or condition to be addressed. Sometimes you may decide to visit the physiotherapist on your own. The reasons why people choose to visit physiotherapists in Singapore include:
- Illnesses. After a person suffers a prolonged disease that affects their mobility and balance, a physical therapist will come in handy.
- Chronic health conditions. A patient may visit a physiotherapist if they have chronic diseases such as diabetes that may affect their mobility and balance.
- After surgery. Patients may have problems getting up or moving after surgery, which is an essential part of healing. Physical therapy can help patients regain use or compensate if their body parts were affected after surgery.
- Ageing. Ageing comes with many changes in a person’s body that affect their movement and function. When this happens, physical therapy can effectively regain some of that function or teach them how they could work with that loss.
- General wellness. Physical therapy can help counteract the ageing effects and learning skills that will help a person lead a healthy and flexible life.
A physiotherapy is a form of treatment that helps with the restoration, maintenance, and maximisation of strength, function, and movement in a person’s body. Physiotherapists in Singapore use various treatment methods, such as exercise and technology, to help patients regain health after suffering injuries or rehabilitation.
If you are Singaporean suffering from chronic illnesses such as diabetes, injuries, ageing, or you need help after surgery, you can visit the best clinics in the country to help you solve the problem and lead a healthy life.
Ellen Diamond did her degree in psychology at the University of Edinburgh. She is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.