This year’s theme for Mental Health Awareness Week is Anxiety. According to Mental Health Foundation, 60% of UK adults experienced anxiety that interfered with their daily lives in the past two weeks.
Despite anxiety being so common, stigma and shame play a part in how people deal with anxiety, with almost half (45%) of UK adults with feelings of anxiety keep it a secret. This suggests that although there has been progress in discussing mental health more openly in recent years, significant numbers of people are still not comfortable talking about their own experiences. With this in mind, Cannaray CBD’s resident psychologist and scientific adviser, Dr Balu delves into what anxiety is and how we can use CBD to help with the symptoms of anxiety.
While most over-the-counter remedies such as herbal therapies can only offer mild effects, CBD has shown to be extremely effective in fighting anxiety. Anxiety disorders are becoming more prevalent due to stress from work, health concerns, and financial commitments. Studies show that CBD oil may help treat anxiety and alleviate depression by altering serotonin levels in the brain.
According to a 2019 Yougov survey, 38% of CBD users use CBD-containing products as a treatment for their anxiety. CBD can be used in a variety of forms including oils, capsules, gummies and topical balms.
What is anxiety?
Dr Balu, the founder of the Emotional Wellness Clinic and Scientific Advisor at Cannaray explained: “Anxiety is an emotion that includes feelings of tension, worried thoughts, and in some cases certain bodily changes. Some people have recurring intrusive thoughts due to anxiety and can avoid certain tasks or situations due to excessive worrying. A fear that something bad or unpleasant will happen or one can be left in an uncertain scenario with little control over the outcome can trigger anxiety.”
What are the symptoms of anxiety?
Anxiety symptoms may vary from person to person but often will include a racing heart, sweating, headaches, difficulty sleeping, irritability, and fatigue. Dr Balu added: “Persistent or chronic anxiety can elevate the levels of stress hormones, which can disrupt many natural processes in your body. It can make you more susceptible to a variety of medical conditions such as digestive problems, depression, headaches, memory/concertation impairment, heart disease, weight gain, and sleep problems.”
What causes anxiety?
The causes of anxiety often cannot be pinpointed to one specific thing and anxiety may be caused by a mental condition, a physical trauma, a life experience, or a combination of all of these. Dr Balu adds, “It’s important when treating your anxiety we identify possible fears and trigger points that will have an adverse effect on your anxiety.”
How is anxiety treated?
Dr Balu noted, “It is important to recognise the triggers for stress and build resilience to manage life in a better way to avoid the adverse effects of stress and anxiety. CBD, as a natural product, can help with anxiety reduction and could be an essential tool in stress management.”
To begin treatment for your anxiety you will need to:
- Determine what can be controlled and focus on things that can be influenced. It is useful to identify fears and differentiate between ruminating and problem-solving.
- Create a plan to manage life and circumstances in a way to minimize stress and being mindful of every situation and “being in the moment” helps to a certain extent.
- Develop healthy positive affirmations, maintaining a gratitude journal and allocating “worry time” helps to mitigate the effects of stress, worry and anxiety on the body and mind.
- Make time for things that make you happy, ensure you are looking after yourself, speak loved ones regularly if you can, listen to music, dance and watch comedies that you know will make you laugh.
Do natural remedies for anxiety (like CBD) work?
Dr Balu said: “Taking CBD is a great natural supplement that has proven effects on lowering anxiety and stress levels. CBD is a natural ingredient that is being increasingly used and recommended to help calm symptoms of anxiety. Emotional wellness and Mental Health conditions are influenced by multiple factors and it is important to consider a holistic approach when dealing with the mind and brain health. CBD may be a very useful addition to the long list of things one can do for their mental wealth.”
How might taking CBD help with anxiety?
Dr Balu, “Studies have shown that CBD reduces the behavioural symptoms of anxiety and physiological symptoms such as increased heart rate. Some people have reported lowering of anxiety levels resulting in better control over emotions and feeling more relaxed while taking CBD.”
Selection of CBD products from Cannaray
- Bright Days CBD Gummies – £18. Allow us to introduce you to the CBD Gummies; a jar of 30 orange-flavoured, vegan gummies with a serious wellness kick. Jam-packed with 10mg of THC-free CBD per gummy, they’re juicy, fruity and mouth-watering. Who knew supplements could be so fun?
- Night Time CBD Oil Drops – £36. Go to bed with the Night-Time CBD Oil Drops; a peppermint-flavoured tincture you take just before or after brushing your teeth. Infused with a premium dose of CBD, coconut oil and hemp oil, these are the dreamiest drops around. Choose from a 10ml discovery size or 30ml full size, both containing 6% CBD; high strength with added hemp oil to aid in absorption.
- Bright Days CBD Oil Drops – from £18. Meet the Bright Days CBD Oil Drops; a supercharged blend of premium CBD and coconut oil, giving you a citrus-fresh zing from morning till night. Natural flavours of zesty lime and aromatic juniper make every dropper a joy. Choose from a 10ml discovery size or 30ml full size, both containing 5% CBD.
- Bright Days CBD Capsules – from £18. Cannaray’s Bright Days CBD Capsules pair premium CBD with immune-supporting vitamins for a daily dose of sunshine in supplement form. We’ve packed our capsules with a generous amount of vitamin D3, vitamin C, zinc and elderberry to support your overall well-being. Take one or two daily with water for easy, speedy, pre-measured dosage. Each capsule contains 10mg CBD.
The articles we publish on Psychreg are here to educate and inform. They’re not meant to take the place of expert advice. So if you’re looking for professional help, don’t delay or ignore it because of what you’ve read here. Check our full disclaimer.