The benefits of bodybuilding are abundant. However, you need to put in a lot of effort to reap them. If you are not taking care of your diet, working out hard in the gym, or using Primo for bulking, or any other steroid for that matter, it will be hard for you to achieve optimal results.
Coming to exercises for bodybuilding, leg press and leg curl machines don’t see much action in a gym. However, that should not be the case. Most bodybuilders neglect leg workouts and go all out on their upper bodies. Your legs comprise one of the strongest muscles in your body.
Leg workouts can be more demanding, but that shouldn’t be an excuse to skip training one of your body’s most important muscle groups.
Lower body training
Your lower body is the base for the rest of your body. Lower body training generally refers to exercising your calves, quads, glutes, and hamstrings. Strong leg muscles are crucial for better movement, increased energy levels, and lower body strength.
Your body weight can train these muscles in high volume or by incorporating additional weights for better intensity.
Why you shouldn’t sleep on your leg days
There is a long list of benefits robust legs bring to the table. Leg workouts should be a part of your workout routine. Doing so will improve your lower body strength and impact your endurance and even upper body and core in many positive ways.
- Better aesthetic. ‘Chicken legs’ refers to bodybuilders who put all their effort into building their upper body without ever doing leg days. A bulky chest and shredded core go hand in hand with muscular toned legs regarding a better body aesthetic. Well-trained legs balance and improve the visual of your body.
- Protection against injuries. Training your legs frequently provides a strong base for you to do the heavy lifting. Leg workouts significantly improve endurance, making you more robust and less prone to soreness and injuries. Additionally, low-intensity leg workouts are ideal for warm-ups, which prepare your body for a strenuous session.
Effects past your lower body
Leg training targets your lower body and significantly impacts your core and upper body. Some of the leg workouts also target your core and back muscles if done with proper form. Moreover, a strong base is essential for upper-body workouts, such as deadlifts and standing curls. Therefore, maximizing the efficiency of many of your exercises.
- Stimulate testosterone. Compound movements stimulate the testosterone levels in your body. Leg workouts usually target multiple muscles simultaneously in your lower body and your core. Your body responds to the higher overall resistance by producing more testosterone, leading to better muscle hypertrophy.
- Better weight loss. One of the reasons leg workouts are notorious is due to how uncomfortable and strenuous they can be. But more strain usually means higher resistance which is ideal for shedding off fat. Muscles such as your gluteus maximum consume more energy during exertion, increasing calorie burn.
Exercises to build legs
You can do many workouts at home to target muscles around your thighs, calves, and hips. When it comes to going big and going hard, there are a couple of workouts you can do with weights to bulk up your legs.
- Deadlifts. Deadlifts are one of the most prevalent full-body exercises. When it comes to legs, it targets your quadriceps the most. There are many variations to the traditional deadlifts, and you can experiment with different weights to maximize results.
- Weighted squats. Bodyweight squats are good on their own. Adding a bar with sufficient weight can further optimize your muscle building in quads. Low-intensity high-volume squats can also promote weight loss.
- Leg curls. Leg curls with adequate weights and rep counts can target your glutes and hamstrings. You can also do the quad-centric variation of curls by sitting straight on the machine instead of lying face down.
- Calf raises. You must switch foot positions to train your inner and outer calves. You can do calf raises, single or double-legged. It is recommended to add extra resistance as the rep count is relatively high and less effective without weights.
The importance of leg training
Legs are one of your body’s most substantial muscle groups. Training your legs frequently ensures a healthy muscle balance, a better aesthetic, and improved workout performance in other areas.
For muscle building, adding weights to squats, lunges, and calf raises increases the intensity for better muscle hypertrophy. Leg presses, curls, and deadlifts are also effective lower-body workouts.
In all, a bodybuilder requires every muscle to be strengthened. So, apart from exercises, you can take the help of muscle-binding steroids as well. Choose the best place to buy injectable steroids – UGFreak and place your order now.
Zuella Montemayor did her degree in psychology at the University of Toronto. She is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.