The immune system is known as the first line of defence against diseases, viruses, and bacteria that enter our body. This system is very important as it is basically in charge of detecting and neutralising any threat coming from the outside, such as viruses and bacteria.
However, it is always important to keep our immune system at its peak so that it can function at its best, especially in this time of pandemics. So here we will be discussing different strategies that you can put into practice to increase your defences and keep your immune system at the top of its game.
Why is it important to strengthen the immune system?
The immune system’s appropriate functioning is critical in preventing the spread of many illnesses in the human body. Many individuals are unaware of the numerous elements that affect the immune system, leaving it far more sensitive to common events such as stress, lack of sleep, or a bad diet, to name a few.
That is why it is very important to constantly strengthen this system of our body that protects us against many antigens and foreign bodies.
Tips to keep your immune system at its best
Here are some tips to help you help strengthen your immune system, practices such as changes or modifications in certain daily routines of our life, as well as the use of certain products that can help our immune system.
- Have a restful night’s sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep, for example, can have a positive impact on your immune system. Sleep helps the body recuperate after an injury by modulating the immunological response. Sleep deprivation, on the other hand, can lower immunity, making you more susceptible to infection.
- Get into an exercise routine. Sporting activities not only keep you fit but also aid to boost your immune system. While moderate-intensity exercise boosts cellular immunity, extended or high-intensity training without appropriate rest can have the reverse effect, increasing infection susceptibility. As a result, finding the correct fitness regimen and following it is perfect.
- Take Vitamins. Vitamins and minerals are especially critical for a healthy immune system. Vitamin C and zinc, in particular, boost your body’s natural defences against viruses and help prevent pneumonia. You should also pay attention to vitamin D levels, as low levels have been linked to an immune system weakness.
- Use CBD products. The endocannabinoid system is in charge of controlling and balancing cell-mediated and humoral immune responses. As a result, CBD, like other cannabinoids, stimulates the endocannabinoid system, which improves the immune system’s reactivity, function, and balance. ECS and CBD, it might be stated, work in tandem to keep our bodies’ immune systems running well with the benefits of hemp flower.
- Manage stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety lead the neurological system, endocrine system, and immune system to decompensate, resulting in a drop in defences and putting our bodies at risk of contracting an infectious disease. Breathing exercises and relaxation techniques such as meditation and yoga are particularly beneficial in reducing stress and finding peace.
- Consume probiotics. Probiotics are ‘healthy’ bacteria that are found in our gut flora and play a significant role in gastrointestinal health and immune system function. Fermented dairy dishes, yogurt, and probiotic pills are all good sources of probiotics. These probiotic foods, when combined with a well-balanced diet high in fibre and low in saturated fats, can assist to improve the immune system.
- Maintain a balanced diet. To improve the immune system, eat a broad and well-balanced diet. Refined and fried foods should be limited or avoided as much as possible. Increase your intake of citrus fruits and vegetables, which function as antioxidants and help to protect and build your immune system. Also, avoid meals that are in poor condition or for which we are unsure of the sanitation, and avoid foods that can harm you specifically, such as those that cause intolerances or allergies, or simply those that ‘do not feel good’.
Having an immune system in our body is undoubtedly one of the best things in our body, however, it is our job to keep it in good condition and always be reinforcing it. We must remember that the immune system is the first barrier of defence that our body has against foreign bodies, so it is always recommended having it at its peak performance.
Ellen Diamond did her degree in psychology at the University of Edinburgh. She has an ongoing interest in mental health and well-being.
Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only; materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Don’t disregard professional advice or delay in seeking treatment because of what you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer.