Motivation comes in all shapes and sizes, whether big or small. However, sometimes people don’t feel strongly driven about the situation in which we find ourselves in. But in this article, we’re going to talk about the ways to get motivate yourself.
For one reason or the other, people lack motivation in life. Some of those reasons include:
- Being overwhelmed can happen for several reasons; you’re unable to break down big tasks into more manageable chunks; you became accustomed to a state of helplessness at an early point in your life and are now struggling with it psychologically.
- Not knowing what you want. This is by far one of the biggest reasons why someone may be lacking in motivation. It’s either because you don’t know what you want, or there may not be a clear picture of what you want.
- Your goal’s overwhelming you. When you’re thinking about your goals so much, it comes to the point where you might be dreading it. At this point, you become so overwhelmed that you don’t even know where to start.
- Depression. Depression can be from several things: the loss of a friend, relative or family member, fired from your job, or even broke up or divorced your significant other.
- Trying hard to please everyone. If you’re only trying to please someone, it only means that you have an identify your own wants and needs yet.
- Prone to procrastination. This one is simply you not being motivated at all. You just have no clarity about what you want to do next and are simply taking things easy.
Regardless of your reasons, we’re going to brighten your spirits today and this article and help you get back into the swing of things.
Ways to motivate yourself
- Bring a little change of scenery. Most of the people around the world hit a creative block at some point in their lives. But, constantly trying to contemplate over something over and over isn’t going to bring about any change. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to get out of your comfort zone. We’re talking about getting out of your house and taking a stroll down at the park, or going for a little run or even going out of town. You’ll come to realise that creative inspiration can come to you in the most unexpected circumstances.
- It’s not always about money. According to motivational speaker Karen Strunks, most people assume that money is enough to motivate them. But while that may be the case at first, it proves to be a difficult thing to live by, especially if the work that people are doing isn’t bringing them any personal joy and satisfaction. She goes on to say that doing that kind of work for too long will make such workers realise later on that no amount of money is worth giving your life enjoying things that are not in line with your personality and your true passion and mission in life.
- Have the right goals in mind. Sometimes, people are motivated by the wrong goals in their life. We find out that whatever our parents succeeded in might not be what’s best for us. Or when we’re already working, we find out that money isn’t essentially a great motivator, especially the job that we’re doing only makes us bored instead of satisfied. Therefore, you should take the time to review the goals that really drive you. You can do this by noticing how your body responds to each of the goals you’re trying to work on. If the body displays signs of constriction and tightness, this means that you’re following toxic goals. If this is the case, then you need to immediately scrap those plans and start working towards those goals that make you smile spontaneously or allow you to lose track of time.
- Plan out short- and long-term goals. Having short and long-term goals are very elemental in giving you the motivation you need at work. The short-term goals ensure that you taste victory on a regular basis, thereby giving you more motivation in working harder towards your long-term goals. Some write their goals down on a piece of paper, a journal, a diary, or a digital one. Maintaining a digital diary allows you to set reminders so that you don’t lose track of your goals while you’re engaged with your current occupation.
- Reward yourself for achieving your goals. Rewarding yourself is also one of the best ways to get motivate yourself. After all, there’s no reason to constantly push yourself towards your goal if you’re not going to reward yourself for all the hard work you put into it. Your reward can be something as simple as a cup of ice cream, or maybe even a trip to the spa to help yourself truly unwind from all the stress and struggles you’ve accumulated. Remember, your rewards should help you keep going forward.
- Make motivation fun. The idea behind motivation is that it needs to be something you enjoy while trying to achieve your goals. However, some people might not be ecstatic towards something that others might. For instance, visiting the local gym daily sounds boring and dreadful to some, but others who love this idea, are usually athletes, gymnasts, or other fitness enthusiasts. The ones who work out regularly, not only do it because of the numerous health benefits that it brings but also because they find it enjoyable. At any point in their daily schedule, these people will find going to the gym to be the thing that they look forward to doing the most. That’s why you need to look at certain situations and see whether you have fun doing it. If you don’t have that kind of experience yet, it’s never too late to start experimenting now.
And there you have it! Our list of the best ways to get motivate yourself. You need to seize this opportunity right now before you continue living out there saddest most boring moments of your life. In other words, find your true purpose in the world.
Image credit: Freepik
Peter Wallace has been an advocate for mental health awareness for years. He holds a master’s degree in counselling from the University of Edinburgh.
Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only; materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Don’t disregard professional advice or delay in seeking treatment because of what you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer.