There are situations when some people sit lower on the career rung than others, though they do not fall behind their peers inability. If we do observe them carefully, they can strike a chord with others and relate to them in a conversation that makes them stand apart from others. They interact well with others and build great rapport with them. This ultimately gives them an edge.
Conversational skills are a gauge with which people measure your capability at work. It contributes to the overall presentation of ideas and the ability to talk to people via chat or in real life. Needless to say, the ideas that are prized are not necessarily that far better off than those that are not; it is just that they are presented better in a conversation. The person who has succeeded in promoting his or her idea has done so, sometimes, through the sheer power of conversation and interpersonal skills alone.
Conversation helps in maintaining relationships
A good conversation is important not just for a career, but in fostering any relationship. Putting it simply, no one would want to go on a date with someone who is a bad conversationalist because it would represent boredom. Those who hold poor conversations are automatically excluded from them, whether on purpose or not. It is a way to make oneself assured of one’s social and professional standing.
How to hold a great conversation
For the more introverted, holding a conversation can be a challenge. Being less inclined to speak up, they may find the conversation a difficult art to master.
- Exude confidence. Everyone is drawn to a person who projects an air of confidence. Having a confident spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend or friend makes one feel a bit better, though by no means should it be used to judge a person’s quality of character. It is just that a person’s enthusiasm and energy are infectious and help to liven the general mood. It generally helps to make everyone comfortable. Imagine a dinner party without such a person present. Things are bound to get boring!
- Find out about the person you are conversing with, whenever possible. Where circumstances allow, find out about the person you are conversing with beforehand. It helps you to source topics of conversation that will engage both of you. When that is not possible, start with a bit of live chat girls small talk first. Many people do not like small talk because they find it a waste of time, and with frankness, I say that I am one of those people! Small talk does have its uses, however. With people you have not had the pleasure of meeting before, how else is it possible to get to know them? Only then is it possible to break common ground and continue the conversation live chat with girls. Using it is a good start to finding out things about the other party so that you can continue to be engaged in talking to each other.
- Ask them questions. I find this to be so beneficial because it shows your interest in the people you are conversing with. Everyone wants to feel that the other party is interested in what they are saying. It also helps you ferret out information that will help to sustain the conversation, especially with people whom you have never met before. Listening is as vital to a free chat conversation as speaking is. Turn-taking has to come into play when conversing with one another, and the roles of listener and conversationalist are reversed throughout the process. Practice active listening and hear what the other party has to say; he will then be more motivated to carry on speaking with you. It is also good to paraphrase what the person has said in your own words. If he says that the stock market is fluctuating badly, just do a rejoinder – “oh, you were saying that it’s been moving up and down recently?” Again, it shows your interest in the person.
- Backchannel support. Backchannel support refers to a term in which people show with short, nonverbal responses that they are listening. This is to show their interest in the person they are speaking to and encourage him or them to speak further. Though some may disagree, statistics show that women offer more backchannel support than men. Women are more supportive conversationalists, though of course there are many exceptions to the norm. Types of backchannel support include the “uh huh’ or simply nodding the head. It encourages the conversation to go on.
- Consider your responses. Being a slightly more impulsive person, I often make the mistake of not thinking before I respond, and the other party sometimes takes the response a little personally. It is good to consider what effect your response will have on the other party before issuing it. It is good to disagree agreeably. If you disagree with something the other party says, do not disagree right away, as the risk of conflict is markedly increased. Agree with something that he has said first – there is always something to agree on – before pointing out any differences in opinion. Of course, offer logical, and not emotional, reasons for disagreeing. Playing the devil’s advocate and pretending to agree with him might help sustain the conversation for a while, but overdoing it may cause you to seem less sincere and even hostile.
- Keep from a conversation that boosts your own ego. How many times have we been in conversations where the other party simply shows off what he knows? The ego trip can be rather grating. So we cannot show off in a conversation. If we come away from a conversation feeling full of ourselves, we have probably done that to a greater or lesser degree. It causes you to lose respect in the long run.
- Do not panic when there is a lull in the conversation. The lull can be for any number of reasons. It can be because the other party needs time to think through his responses or because the other party prefers you to carry on with the conversation. Or, the both of you may have run out of things to say viz the topic! Simply start the ball rolling on another topic of conversation if lulls occur.
- Remember that it is not always your fault if a conversation isn’t going as well as it should. You may be doing everything right, like offering backchannel support and being a really active listener in a girl livechat. Still, the conversation does not turn out as well as you would like it to. The person may be preoccupied or lack conversational skills, so it is up to you to continue conversing with him.
- Know when the conversation is over. This is usually when both of you have run out of things to say or if the other party gives a hint. He may feel bad about terminating the conversation with you, so you will know when he really needs to leave if he starts shifting his feet or looking around. Close the conversation at that point.
David Tobin did his degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. He is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.