Let’s get real: few subjects in the realm of male sexuality provoke as much curiosity, debate, and outright anxiety as the size of the penis. More specifically, the terms “grower” and “shower” have cropped up in the societal lexicon, causing a stir. Are you a grower – that is, someone whose penis significantly increases in size when erect – or a shower, whose penis is roughly the same size in both flaccid and erect states? But, more importantly, does it matter?
In an effort to understand these concepts better, let’s first break down the terminology. A “grower” is typically characterised as someone who experiences a substantial increase in size during an erection. On the other hand, a “shower” is someone whose penis size doesn’t drastically change from its flaccid to erect state. According to various studies, it’s estimated that around 79% of men are growers, while the remaining 21% are showers.
It’s important to dispel a common myth here: being a grower or a shower does not determine the size of an erect penis. In other words, a man can be a shower with a relatively average or below-average erect penis size, or a grower with an above-average size. The grower-shower dichotomy is not about the size of the erect penis, but the degree of change from flaccid to erect.
So, what is the average penis size, you ask? According to a 2014 study published in the BJU International Journal of Urology, the average erect penis size is approximately 5.16 inches (13.12 cm). This measurement is based on a wide array of studies with men of all ages and races. Interestingly, most men tend to overestimate the average penis size, often leading to unnecessary anxiety and stress about their own size.
But a 2001 study published in the journal BMC Women’s Health shows that women’s preferences for penis size may have implications for men’s comfort with their own bodies, potentially affecting their sexual health. Previous studies typically relied on women’s abstract ratings or selections from 2D, flaccid images. Yet, a novel research approach used haptic stimuli to allow women to accurately recall size and express their preferences for erect penis sizes in different relationship contexts.
In this unique study, women selected from 33, 3D models. The results revealed that women accurately recalled model size, making more errors with respect to penis length than circumference. Interestingly, women exhibited a preference for a slightly larger penis for one-time partners compared to long-term partnersThese initial estimates, derived from preferences using 3D models, suggest that women prefer penises that are only slightly larger than average. This finding underscores the necessity of nuanced discussions around penis size, its importance, and its impact on sexual health.
Ultimately, the concepts of “grower” and “shower”, and the relentless focus on average penis size, fuel harmful myths and unrealistic expectations about male sexuality. The reality is that these terminologies contribute very little, if anything, to the quality of sexual activity. It is high time we focus on what genuinely matters in a sexual relationship: communication, trust, respect, and mutual satisfaction.
Moreover, it’s essential to recognise that penis size can fluctify due to various factors, including temperature, level of arousal, and anxiety. This reinforces the notion that any attempts to categorise men into “growers” or “showers” are overly simplistic and misleading. Men’s bodies are diverse, and their sexual abilities can’t be distilled down to these binary classifications.
Whether you’re a grower or a shower doesn’t determine your worth as a man, nor your ability to satisfy your partner. The notions of being a grower or a shower, and average penis size, are topics that can foster insecurity and stress among many men. Yet, it is clear that these concepts, while they may spur interesting discussion, do not define male sexual prowess or satisfaction. It’s about time we reframe the conversation, focusing on healthy sexual practices and relationships, rather than unnecessary labels.
Remember, you are not defined by the size of your penis, whether flaccid or erect. Your worth, your masculinity, and your ability to be a fantastic sexual partner are not dependent on whether you’re a grower or a shower. Embrace your body, communicate with your partner, and remember to prioritize mutual satisfaction over societal stereotypes and myths.
Emerson Castellano is a sexologist and educator, focusing on promoting sexual health awareness and combating harmful stereotypes. With a passion for enlightening the public, Emerson continuously aims to debunk myths and foster a healthier dialogue about sexuality.
The articles we publish on Psychreg are here to educate and inform. They’re not meant to take the place of expert advice. So if you’re looking for professional help, don’t delay or ignore it because of what you’ve read here. Check our full disclaimer.