Psychometric tests are part and parcel of a company’s recruitment process. One of the aims of these tests is to maximise both the individual and organisational performance by means of a highly valid and reliable psychological measure. Psychometric tests usually include reasoning tests, such as verbal, numerical and situational, or a verbal reasoning test.
A lot of people are uneasy about taking these tests but bear in mind that these are part of the overall assessment procedure – and the recruiters will, of course, take into account your educational background, previous work experience, how you did on the job interview, the quality of your references, and a host of other variables.
Psychologists at the University of Texas report in the Journal of Psychology that free tests are more reliable and efficient than their paid-for, proprietary counterparts.
Practice Aptitude Tests is one of the largest providers of practice psychometric tests (over 10 million people have used its test packages). Usefully, it allows you to practice test portfolios based on those used by publishers (for example, SHL tests) and employers (for example, Amazon tests).
So, if you are looking to practise a psychometric test to help you identify your areas of improvement, here are some resources to help you with that.
- The Open Psychometric Test Resource is a psychometric collaborative project from UK universities and occupational psychologists. Feel free to take any of their online tests. They also welcome being included in any psychometric research you are currently involved with.
- Get a glimpse of psychometric and aptitude assessments with JobTestPrep’s free sample psychometric tests. Each test produces a score report, enabling you to review your results and access answer explanations.
- The free online practice aptitude tests from the Institute of Psychometric Coaching are designed to help you assess how well you are likely to do in an actual aptitude test. These free aptitude tests are short examples of our online practice aptitude tests.
- AssessmentDay offers practice tests which mimic the psychometric tests used by recruiters, which could help you become faster and more accurate at answering questions.
- Career Gym offers a ‘combo test’, which consists of 20 verbal-numerical-abstract-accuracy questions, comprehensive psychometric tests, detailed solutions and explanations, 2300+ questions in the database, and scoring based on percentiles.
- PwC also offers assessments which have been designed to assess your thinking and help prepare you for an actual assessment at PwC. They give you feedback on how you’ve performed after each ability test question and you’ll be able to see which questions you’ve answered correctly or incorrectly.
- WikiJob explains that evidence suggests that some practice of similar aptitude tests may improve your performance in the real tests. Practice exam technique and try to become more familiar with the types of test you may face by completing practice questions. Even basic word and number puzzles may help you become used to the comprehension and arithmetic aspects of some tests.
- If you need to complete online reasoning tests as a part of selection process and you would like to undertake some practice beforehand then you came to the right page. GraduateWings provides you with free aptitude practice tests that mimic the latest tests used by major graduate employers. All of the tests are timed and once you finish you will be provided with test report of your score. You may return to correct, incorrect or unanswered questions and review full explanations.
- SituationalJudgementTest allows you to try real psychometric tests developed by ex-SHL consultants. You can also get personalised reports and prepare for a test.
- Online UK Test for Psychometric Assessment is a perfect place for everyone who are applying for jobs in the financial sector, medical, engineering, retail etc. Online UK Test is also the perfect place for everyone if you are applying for British citizenship.
- Jung Personality Test is free personality test uniquely that combines two powerful systems for evaluating personality type: Jungian cognitive functions and personality dichotomies.
- Practice Reasoning Tests provides a comprehensive range of easy to understand articles about psychometric tests with many example questions and worked solutions. The website also offers a range of free practice tests, including a numerical reasoning test, a verbal reasoning test and an inductive reasoning test.
Ellen Diamond did her degree in psychology at the University of Herfordshire. She is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.
Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only; materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Don’t disregard professional advice or delay in seeking treatment because of what you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer.