Losing weight is now easier than ever before. Whether you are looking for gastric band surgery or gastric bypass, there are now treatments available that can help to reduce excess fat around the body.
Many people will have tried a considerable number of different diets with little success. They may have also tried exercising but still cannot lose enough to achieve their target weight. The good news is that it’s easy to arrange weight loss surgery in London at several different medical centers.
This guide will help you understand the different procedures available and how they help reduce your weight.
Gastric band surgery
This is one of the most popular procedures available. The gastric band operation uses a small adjustable band, which is placed around the upper part of your stomach. This slows down food passing through your stomach so that you feel full quicker. It also reduces the amount of food that you can eat in one go.
Gastric bypass surgery
If you have tried other treatments but have still found no success, then it’s probably time for something more radical. The gastric bypass operation works by reducing the size of your stomach so that you cannot eat as much at each meal. Food passes through a cut section of your stomach and into the lower part to help reduce the calories that can be eaten in one sitting.
This procedure has helped many people who have been struggling with their weight for years, but they will need to follow a very strict dietary plan afterward to keep losing weight. This is because overeating after the surgery can cause health problems, so it is essential to acknowledge that it’s not just a case of having the surgery, and that’s it. You will need to take special care of the food you eat to achieve and maintain weight loss.
Biliopancreatic diversion for weight loss
If you have tried different diets and failed to lose weight, then this may be an option for you. It works by re-routing your food so that your stomach is bypassed for most of the time. This means that most foods travel through a longer part of the small intestine before being digested. As a result, most calories will pass straight through your body without being processed at all.
The benefits of weight loss
- Improve your overall health. When you lose weight, your chances of developing chronic illnesses are reduced. Then there is the potential for your blood pressure to become lower and reduce the risk of heart disease. Excess fat around the body also places strain on the hips and knees, so surgery can also help to reduce pain in these areas.
- More energy. Once you lose weight, you will have more energy, which can help improve your overall quality of life. Your body will become slimmer, which means that clothing will fit better, and it’s easier to move around without being out of breath from walking up a flight of stairs.
- Confidence. Weight loss surgery can have a dramatic impact on your levels of depression and anxiety. If you have struggled with weight problems for a long time, you may find that this is the final push you need to live a healthier lifestyle.
- Enjoy exercise. Once you have lost weight, it’s easier to exercise, and this makes it possible for you to become fitter and healthier. You will be able to use the previous lack of energy as motivation to exercise regularly to maintain your new weight.
- Wear the clothes you really want to. When you’ve lost weight, you might feel more confident wearing the clothes you never felt comfortable wearing when you were heavier. Whether that’s a swimming costume, sleeveless top, or shorts, it’s all about feeling the very best that you can be.
- Enjoy time with the children or grandchildren. Your children or grandchildren might be too young to understand what you’ve been through regarding your weight issues. However, they just want a happy and healthy granny or grandad! Being able to play with them with ease means so much more than simply being thin for the sake of it.
Finding the right surgeon for your weight loss procedure
If you cannot lose weight through diet and exercise, there are now options available that can really help you to change your life. If you decide to have surgery, you must choose the right surgeon for this procedure.
The most popular procedures in London include gastric band surgery, gastric bypass surgery, or biliopancreatic diversion for weight loss. All of these treatments use a different approach to reduce stomach size, which means that they can be tailored to a person’s needs.
Finding the ideal treatment is only possible when you speak with a qualified consultant who can answer all of your questions about each type of surgery. They will also provide comprehensive advice on what you should do before undergoing any operation, as well as aftercare once you have recovered.
Who should consider weight loss surgery?
Studies have shown that there are different groups of people who would benefit from weight loss surgery. For some people, it can be used as a last resort to prevent the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. It also helps those who suffer from pain due to joint damage caused by excess weight gain.
It can also help those who struggle with depression and low self-esteem because they feel ashamed about their body image. If you think that you could benefit from weight loss surgery, then speak to a specialist today for more information on how this treatment works and what you can expect if you undergo the procedure.
Helen Bradfield did her degree in psychology at the University of Edinburgh. She is interested in mental health and well-being.