Enjoying a few drinks with friends over the bank holiday weekend can be fun, but the hangover that follows the next day? That’s a lot less fun.
After a night or day of drinking alcohol, you might be familiar with the usual physical symptoms of a hangover, a pounding headache, nausea, and the urge to stay in bed with the curtains closed for almost all day.
But did you know that hangovers can give you psychological symptoms too? The most common is feeling anxious or hangxiety. With the summer’s final bank holiday and the festival season peak, Cannaray CBD has looked at how we can use CBD to help ease the post-bank holiday hangxiety.
How to deal with hangxiety?
- Get your body in the right state: rehydrate by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. If you feel nauseous, eat a light meal of mild foods such as dry toast, as these can help to settle the stomach.
- Avoid eating greasy or processed foods as these may make you feel worse.
- If you can, sleep it off, take a shower or bath, put on some relaxing music and pop a couple of CBD oil drops under your tongue.
How does CBD help with hangxiety?
- CBD is a powerful antioxidant. As alcohol is processed by the liver, it releases a toxic byproduct called acetaldehyde. Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to a toxin overload, but CBD helps quicken your recovery by fighting off these dangerous substances.
- CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the painful pounding of a post-drinking headache and the common hangover symptoms of aches, soreness, and weakness.
- CBD can help reduce nausea and vomiting because of its interaction with the endocannabinoid system, which plays a role in gastrointestinal health. Additionally, CBD is an antiemetic by helping lower neurotransmitter activity that triggers nausea and vomiting.
- CBD can decrease fatigue and brain fog. It’s common to feel exhausted and unable to focus after a night of drinking. Fortunately, CBD helps combat hangover symptoms by boosting memory, concentration, and energy levels.
- CBD balances mood and helps reduce irritability. You might experience increased cortisol (the stress hormone) after alcohol consumption, resulting in heightened anxiety and irregular moods. Fortunately, CBD is a natural remedy for soothing high anxiety, balancing mood, and relaxing the mind.
Dr P Balu, founder of the Emotional Wellness Clinic and scientific advisor at Cannaray: ‘Taking CBD is a great natural supplement which has proven effects on lowering anxiety and stress levels. CBD is a natural ingredient that is being increasingly used and recommended to help calm anxiety symptoms.’
‘Research studies on people have shown that CBD may help lower feelings of isolation. It seems that CBD can calm the brain and support the parts of the brain responsible for healthy emotions and memory.’
‘Emotional wellness and mental health conditions are influenced by multiple factors, and it is important to consider a holistic approach when dealing with mind and brain health. CBD may be a very useful addition to the list of things one can do for their mental wealth.’
Dr Tonucci, pain specialist and scientific advisor to Cannaray: ‘There is good evidence of CBD reducing anxiety disorders. While cannabinoids are not a cure and may require long-term use, their side effects are minimal, and in combination with other treatment modalities, they have the potential to improve quality of life.’
‘It’s important to find the right CBD dosage for your anxiety. We suggest starting small and working your way up depending on how your body reacts.’
How to prevent hangxiety?
Next time you decide to drink, follow these steps and see how you feel the next day.
- Avoid drinking on an empty stomach.
- Match your alcohol intake glasses of water.
- Pace yourself; don’t drink too quickly.
- Set yourself a limit and keep yourself accountable.