Small accessories called dental burs are used with dental handpieces. Their primary utility is in dental operation preparatory techniques. There are several dental burs available for use in a variety of dental treatments.
For the numerous dental operations, a dental clinic provides, various types of dental burs are available. Diamond burs and carbide burs are the two most popular varieties. The many dental burs and their purposes are listed below.
When a cut demands exceptional precision, diamond burs are necessary because they facilitate faster and smoother cutting. Diamond burs with finer grit can provide a higher polish, making them better suited for precision work as opposed to eliminating bulky objects.
Keep in mind that genuine diamonds will endure longer than their synthetic cousins when buying a diamond dental bur.
- Use diamond burs for polishing and cutting through porcelain.
Compared to diamond burs, carbide burs leave a smoother surface. Compared to other varieties, carbide burs “chatter” and vibrate less. These burs hold their edge for much longer than regular burs since they can resist high temperatures.
Additionally, these burs may be utilised on a range of materials, including acrylics, gold, and silver. They also endure a very long period without cracking or chipping.
- For shaping bone, removing existing fillings, and preparing cavities for fillings, use carbides.
These can streamline and increase your cutting efficiency. With reduced chatter, they also resist friction and clogging.
- Use these burs to remove crowns or to remove crowns. Also useful for enhancing composite preparations’ retention. likewise helpful for extraction.
- These can also be used by veterinarians to segment teeth and extract tooth roots from cats. It is very helpful for extracting little kittens. All cats can benefit from using it to remove mesial and distal bones.
When paired with wear-resistant carbides, high-speed steel burs give good edge retention and resistance to abrasion. They require little upkeep and are quite adaptable. These burs, however, are more prone to chipping and dulling than regular dental burs.
- Use a steel bur to prepare cavities and remove dentin.
Since ceramic dental burs don’t carry heat as well as other dental bur kinds do, keeping the integrity of any acrylic parts being adjusted is simpler. This makes it a viable option for modifying thermoplastics as well. When changing burs, cooler cutting also lowers the chance of burns.
- Adjust acrylic pieces with a ceramic burr.
More and more patients have zirconia for higher performance. Its strength makes it a perfect choice for crowns and bridges.
However, this also presents a special challenge when they need adjustments. This is why you need a specialized cutting tool that has both durability and efficiency. This is what we had in mind when we created our Z-rex diamond burs.
- These burs are perfect for adjusting trepan or removing any ceramic restorations. With their revolutionary ERA bonding, they create a shortened procedure time, which means you can see more patients, equaling greater profitability.
Zuella Montemayor did her degree in psychology at the University of Toronto. She is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.