Otolaryngology surgery is performed for treating problems with the nose, throat, or ears. It is commonly known as ENT surgery or ear, nose, and throat surgery. Otolaryngologists are trained individuals for treating patients with diseases or disorders of the throat, nose, or ear. In most cases, these disorders require surgery along with other treatment options. You will have to study these disorders in detail if you want to opt for surgery.
Different types of ENT surgeries
There are various types of ENT surgeries used for treating different conditions affecting the throat, nose, and ear. Surgical procedures for treating benign conditions such as tonsil or sinusitis are straightforward. However, you have complex processes like laryngectomy for treating cancer in the larynx. Understand each of these in detail.
- Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. The first disorder that can get surgically rectified with the help of ENT surgeries are those related to tonsils and adenoids. These are frequent problems with aged individuals. For removing adenoids and tonsils, this procedure is necessary. The surgeon will recommend these procedures if the problem is persistent or recurrent.
- Ear surgery. Another standard surgical procedure is ear surgery, which involves inserting a tube to prevent and treat recurrent infection in the inner ear.
- Septoplasty. For straightening the nasal septum, this procedure is apt. The separating structure between nasal cavities made of thin bone and cartilage is called the nasal septum. Any abnormality with this can get treated with ENT surgeries.
- Sinus surgery. ENT surgery helps treat sinus disorders when lifestyle changes and medication do not work. It is appropriate for removing obstruction or blockage in the sinus.
- Endoscopic sinus. Patients suffering from recurrent sinus infections require minimally invasive procedures. CT scan and fiber optic scopes get employed by a top ENT specialist for providing the surgeon with a clear picture of the area.
- ENT oncology. For treating malignant cancers or tumors that develop in the neck and head area, ENT surgery is effective. Whether it is cancer in the larynx or pharynx, oral cancer, salivary tumor, ENT surgery is the only option left.
- Direct laryngoscopy. For diagnosing and performing the surgical treatment, this process is apt. A fiber optic endoscope or microscope is suitable for examination and further operation.
- Tracheotomy. If a person is suffering from respiratory tract impairment, Tracheotomy is necessary. For making an opening in the track here to help air reach the lungs.
- Nasal problem. Since doctors perform ENT surgery in the nose, throat, and ear region, these surgical procedures help treat nasal issues like Sinus and Sinusitis.
- Neck surgery. Any disorder in the neck region needs immediate attention. In case of severe illness, recurrent infection, there is no option but reconstructive surgery.
Before undergoing the procedure, a complete examination of the person is necessary. Apart from this, routine tests like blood tests and X-rays help in ensuring that there is no medical condition that would hinder the surgical procedure. Going to a good specialist can help you get reasonable treatment.
Robert Haynes did his degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. He is interested in mental health and well-being.
The articles we publish on Psychreg are here to educate and inform. They’re not meant to take the place of expert advice. So if you’re looking for professional help, don’t delay or ignore it because of what you’ve read here. Check our full disclaimer.