Hair is a very important feature of any individual, both men and women. Having long, luxurious locks is something that everyone can appreciate. The way your hair looks will very much have an impact on how you feel overall. With having hair, there come many issues as well, that people struggle with – either an inability to grow hair, frizz problems or hair loss. The latter is particularly concerning for most people, including men as they age and people will do whatever it takes to ensure they do not lose their hair or the process is slowed as much as possible.
Individuals who suffer from hair loss, often do not understand the causes behind this, and if you do not understand why this is happening, it will be difficult to determine which treatment to undertake to resolve this issue.
Common causes of hair loss
- Hereditary hair loss. The most common cause of hair loss for both men and women is their own genes. If a lot of people in your family suffer from hair loss for no apparent reason, it is very likely that you will suffer from this too. This is a hereditary medical condition in which your hair follicles start to shrink and eventually the hair will stop growing. This process usually starts happening in later stages of life, although it can start as early as during adolescence.
- Age. This is another very common cause of hair loss. It is a known fact that as we age, our bodies start to deteriorate and we face a range of diverse issues as a result. Hair growth significantly slows down with the years causing it to thin and fall, and it also loses its color.
- Alopecia areata. The strands of hair on your head as well as on your body are held by what is known as hair follicles. Alopecia Areata is essentially a condition in which the immune system attacks the hair follicles all over the body. If you suffer from this condition, you may suffer from hair loss on your head as well as all over your body.
- Chemotherapy. This is one of the most popular treatments for cancer and one of the main side effects that come with this include severe hair loss, where patients lose big chunks of hair at one time.
- Stress. This is something that we all suffer with, although some people will suffer from increased levels and some may also have increased resilience causing them to not feel the effects of stress as much. Hair loss is a common sign that you are overstressed, even if you do not realise this yourself.
- Haircare. Looking after your hair is essential if you want it to grow and be as healthy as possible. There are also some hair growth products for Black women. But you must be careful about what products you use and what you do. Using the wrong brush, using a lot of chemicals or even hairstyles that will pull on your scalp will damage the hair follicles and cause hair loss.
- Lack of vitamins. A healthy and balanced diet is crucial for an overall healthy body, and this is just as important for the health of your hair. The main vitamins associated with hair growth include biotin, protein, zinc and iron. A lack of these will potentially cause you to suffer from hair loss.
How to resolve hair loss
- Visit a hair treatment clinic. If you are willing to take care of your hair loss issue permanently, no matter what is causing it, you can visit a hair treatment clinic. The hair growth professionals at groclinics.com.au recommend visiting a hair clinic is a smart idea no matter at what stage your hair loss is. These professionals can assess your situation and advise you on the best treatment options available to you.
- Consult with your doctor. You may have underlying conditions that are causing your hair loss, as well any medication you are on. By discussing this with your doctor, they can prescribe you medication to help with your issue or undertake further tests to diagnose what is causing your hair loss.
- Reduce stress. It is easier said than done, but it is important to reduce levels of stress. Sit back and try to analyse what aspect of your life may be adding too much pressure and stress on you. You can also do exercise or take on a relaxing hobby, such as hiking or dancing.
- Take vitamins. Lack of vitamins can result in hair loss, therefore if you cannot get enough of these from your diet, taking supplements is a good idea.
Hair loss can cause people to suffer from low self-esteem. You must determine the causes behind this and get the appropriate treatment for you. This page should provide you with a range of reasons behind hair loss as well as what treatments you have available to you.
Tommy Williamson did his degree in psychology at the University of Edinburgh. He has an ongoing interest in mental health and well-being.
Disclaimer: Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only. Materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, medical treatment, or therapy. Never disregard professional psychological or medical advice nor delay in seeking professional advice or treatment because of something you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer here.