Feeling overwhelmed and exhausted as we approach summer? You’re probably dealing with seasonal burnt out. Here, life design and career coach, and author of Burnt Out, shares 6 simple steps to help reclaim your energy and thrive this summer.
At first thought, the summer months are associated with carefree behaviour — breezy beach days, shaded hikes and exciting vacations. But the pressures of balancing our already busy workload and an explosion of social commitments can leave many of us feeling exhausted, over-stretched and overwhelmed with our professional, social and personal lives.
Burnout was previously described by the World Health Organisation in 2019 as an “occupational phenomenon”, conceptualised from chronic workplace stress. However, since the start of the global pandemic, we have seen a greater emphasis on the implications of burnout, indicating that work isn’t the only cause.
Selina Barker, a life design and career change coach and author of Burnt Out: The Exhausted Persons 6 Step Guide to Thriving in a Fast-Paced World explains:
“Burnout is a state of feeling emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted, as a result of excessive and prolonged stress caused by over-working. It is our body’s way of signalling there is an energy crisis taking place and something has to change. When we reach this point of exhaustion, we can feel like we can no longer cope with our daily responsibilities, struggle to focus, lose our compassion for others and struggle to switch off or sleep at night.”
Often, people experiencing burnout feel like there’s no escape. But according to Selina, there is:
“Thankfully, burnout is not a fixed state of being, by identifying what has been causing you to burnout and learning how to manage your energy and design your working day so that you can thrive, you can break free from burnout and become more energised, calmer and more fulfilled at work than ever before.”
“Managing burnout begins with reclaiming your energy levels, so you can not only feel good in yourself, but you can create the career and life you truly deserve. I recommend my clients try a range of different strategies that I know will help them feel more motivated. By incorporating just a few of these into your daily routines, will help to restore a sense of calmness, and tackle the symptoms experienced by burnout.”
To help make the most of your summer without totally wearing yourself out, here are five tips:
- Summer is a time to pack in social events and activities we can’t do at any other time of year, but it’s also a brilliant time to pause and reset. Many of us suffer from work-related burnout and other stresses, so use this time to take a break even if it’s not going away on holiday. Sit in your garden, read a book and watch the sunset. It’s really important to do things that fill up your cup.
- Use exercise to recharge. Whether it’s a daily walk around the block, or a 30-minute HIIT class, exercise comes in all shapes and sizes. If you are feeling physically, mentally, or emotionally drained this summer, exercising can act as a restorative activity and give you a boost of feel-good hormones.
- Getting good quality rest between social situations is key. Schedule nights off whether you prioritise relaxation and sleep. Set aside your phone an hour before you intend to sleep and replace that scrolling time with something that really helps you to relax and restore your energy. Try a guided meditation, journaling, or some wind-down yoga.
- Try an adaptogen to help regulate stress and make you feel more alert throughout the day. Kalms Rhodiola is made from Rhodiola rosea, a powerful herb that can help your body and brain process stress more effectively. Studies have shown that one tablet twice a day of Rhodiola rosea can help fight fatigue and boost energy levels and it enhances our ability to concentrate, maintain focus, and promotes a positive mood.
- Learn to say no to the things you don’t really want to do or that are draining. Long summer nights and changes to our usual routines can make summer feel like a carefree time, but make sure you don’t end up overexerting yourself and not enjoying yourself. Set good boundaries with your work, your phone, your friends, and your family.
Kalms Rhodiola Tablets offer a relief from stress, exhaustion and fatigue, common symptoms associated with seasonal burnout. Known for its adaptogen properties, research suggests Rhodiola rosea, is an effective stimulant which can help to regulate the body’s stress hormones and relieve symptoms associated with burnout. Studies have shown that taking one tablet twice a day of Rhodiola rosea can help fight fatigue and restore energy levels and increases our resistance to stress by balancing the neurotransmitters in the brain, without lowering blood sugar levels, which enhances our ability to concentrate, maintain focus, and promotes a positive mood.