Fire damage receives the second-highest number of claims for insurance companies, but do we know how to spot fire hazards throughout our homes? A fire can spread through a home quickly so when spotting fire hazards, time is of the essence.
A new brainteaser created by CIA Landlords has seven fire hazards to find around the home. Can the general public find them in under 30 seconds to avoid a fire?
Can you spot the fire hazards in the house below?
The full list of fire hazards
- Live electric wires have been left exposed. 53% of accidental house fires are caused by electrical faults, and over 700 injuries are caused by them each year. Just under 10% of accidental fires are caused specifically by faults in wires, cabling and plugs.
- A candle has been left alone while lit and is next to a set of curtains. 950 house fires were caused by candles in 2020–21, that is nearly 3 per day. LED flameless candles are a great, and safe alternative.
- A lit cigarette has been left in the attic. Cigarettes that have not been properly extinguished and disposed of cause 1 in 12 house fires in the UK of accidental house fires and over a third (36%) of deaths in house fires.
- Hob on oven top left on. Cooking appliances are responsible for a whopping 46% of all accidental house fires per year. Over 7,500 fires were caused by cookers and 1,400 by heated hobs left on between 2020–21. It is important to remember to check that ovens and hobs are turned off fully after cooking.
- Straighteners left on. Over 650,000 house fires in the UK have been caused by straighteners or curlers being left on. Always make sure to check that you have turned styling tools off once you have finished using them.
- Flammable items left by the fire . It is recommended that you put a fire out 45 minutes before you leave the room in order to let the ashes cool whilst you are there to keep an eye out for any sparks or hazards. Watch out for materials such as cotton and viscose as they are highly flammable.
- Plug sockets near water. There should be a 3m gap between any sockets and a bath/shower as dictated by the Building Regulations rules in the UK. Water getting into sockets can overwhelm its circuit, producing sparks and causing an electrical fire.
Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only; materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Don’t disregard professional advice or delay in seeking treatment because of what you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer.