Home General Can You Bring Your Relatives to the US to Get Medical Assistance?

Can You Bring Your Relatives to the US to Get Medical Assistance?

Published: Last updated:
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Getting sick is something no one wants to experience. We always want to make sure we stay strong and healthy by practising healthy eating habits, exercising, and the like. However, there are times wherein getting sick is unavoidable. And when this happens, we always want to stay one step ahead of the pain.

There are a lot of us who wish to take care of our families, but sometimes, distance can stop us. With that said, it’s no surprise you’ve been thinking of bringing them to the US with you. While the process to get medical assistance in the US can be lengthy, this article would help you gather all the necessary information that you need, such as family visas and the like.

Can we bring them to get medical assistance?

The short answer would be yes, it’s possible. But, you have to make sure you follow all the rules and guidelines that they have regarding this. Otherwise, they could deny your request overall. The first step you should take in doing this would be planning. Be sure that you have a plan and the documents ready. Otherwise, the whole process would be more challenging than it should be.

Who can I sponsor?

Before formulating a plan, it’s essential to know your perks and what relatives the country allows. For US citizens, you can sponsor your parents, partners, daughters, and sons, both minors and adults, single or married, and siblings. Sponsorship is also available for lawful permanent residents’ spouses, young children, and unmarried adult daughters and sons.

What are my options?

First and foremost, ensure that you have your Visa or proof that you’re a citizen of the United States. The majority of the plan to bring your relatives to the US to get medical assistance would rely on your Visa. This would pave the way for your plan. If you don’t have one, then here are some things you could consider.

  • Get a visa. One of the visas that you could get would be the F3 Visa. It is a Family Type Card for married descendants of United States citizens. Your family can join you in the United States if their F3 Visa application is approved. Because there are a certain amount of F3 visas available every year, the f3 visa process takes a little longer. The processing time varies from one to ten years, depending on the number of applications submitted every year by USCIS.
  • Write a formal letter. Initiate contact with the sick relative in the US and request that they submit a formal letter to the United States. Your native country’s embassy welcomes you to the United States to care for them for health reasons.

Fill out and submit Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, along with other relevant paperwork such as an invitation letter from a sick relative and confirmation of your connections to your home country as proof that you want to return to your native land after your stay in the US.

How to start the process of bringing your relatives

The process begins with the applicant, a US citizen or legal resident, drafting and completing Form I-130, Alien Relative Petition. USCIS has a free download available on their website if you’re looking for the form. One of the most critical questions on Form I-130 is where the benefactor will go for a visa interview. This is either at a US embassy or consulate in the beneficiary’s country of residence.

Aside from this, you also would need to show proof that the petitioner and beneficiary are related. A sample document that you’d have to prepare for this would be a copy of your marriage or birth certificate. After all this, you would just have to wait until the application is processed. When it is, USCIS will be giving you updates on how to go on from there.


Considering bringing your relatives to the US to get medical assistance can be a stressful and time-consuming task, but remember that keeping their best interests in mind is essential. Moving them to the US to help you, especially when you have the proper resources, can get you the help you need.

In there, it’s sure that they’ll be in the best hands and you wouldn’t have to worry about anything. With that said, we hope you found our article insightful and were able to answer all the questions and concerns you have regarding medical assistance for your relatives outside the US.

David Tobin did his degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. He is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.

© Copyright 2014–2034 Psychreg Ltd