Buying health insurance is not a mindless task. You want to do your homework properly. If you spend enough time and attention in choosing your health insurance, then you can receive many benefits. If you don’t, you may end up paying for a policy that doesn’t work for you. When you are looking to buy health insurance in the UAE, here are the things you need to know.
Why buy health insurance in the UAE?
Health insurance is an essential part of life almost anywhere you live. There is no guaranteeing you won’t get sick or injured in life. Even when you follow a healthy lifestyle, you can get caught up in navigating a sickness. It is crucial to be prepared and have health insurance to make those moments easier to deal with.
Whether you live in the UAE or the US, health insurance can help you:
- Get the right treatment for your illness
- Help you recover from an accident
- Keep your healthcare costs down
- Protect your family
If you are moving to the UAE, then getting health insurance is a must-have. The region requires people to have health insurance, and it can help you have a lot more peace of mind.
What to know about health insurance in the UAE?
When it comes to shopping for health insurance in the UAE, you want to keep a few things in mind. There are plenty of options to choose from. The most important things to consider include:
- Know the claim process. The claim process is among the most important elements of your health insurance plan. If you need medical care, then you need to go through the claim process. This can be different from one insurer to another. You want to understand the requirements before buying a policy. Make sure you know how you can claim and what the process entails.
- Waiting periods and pre-existing conditions. You should also understand that health insurance in the UAE has different waiting periods. These refer to pre-existing conditions. You often can’t get coverage for an undetected pre-existing condition during a waiting period. For example, if you get diagnosed with a heart issue before your waiting period is over, your insurance might not cover it. The length of waiting periods varies between insurers, so it’s important to check it before buying a policy. You should also be aware of what conditions the waiting period entails. If you have a pre-existing condition you know about before buying a policy, make sure to understand if it is covered. You can find health insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. But you have to be upfront about them.
- Cost vs coverage. Health insurance cost is often the only thing people think about. But you shouldn’t just pay attention to what the insurance costs. You also need to understand the coverage and compare the benefits of having cheaper insurance to having insurance with wider cover. The truth is that you might end up paying more for insurance with inadequate cover.When you are buying health insurance you need to think about your needs first. Focus on identifying the different cover options you need in your plan. For example, you might want to have a good maternity cover if you are thinking about starting a family. When you know what kind of cover you need, you can start looking for the different options and compare prices.You should also know how the cost of your insurance is determined. Premiums are not the only thing you should care about. You also need to understand deductibles and sub-limits. It might be that you end up paying for more when you need to make a claim if these are high. Therefore, you need to consider the cost of making a claim and not just the monthly or annual premiums.
- No claim bonuses. Many health insurance options in the UAE come with a No Claim Bonus (NCB). This refers to a discount your insurer gives you for all the years you don’t make a claim. If you are a healthy person, then the discount might end up being a nice treat.
- Free check-ups. Your health insurance could also come with a free medical checkup. There are some health insurers in the UAE who offer these. If you can find a policy that does, then it can be worth it to consider getting it. Having a free checkup can be a great way to maintain a healthier lifestyle. It can also help you catch any underlying condition you might be developing before it gets too bad.
What kind of health insurance you can get in the UAE?
As mentioned, there are a good deal of different health insurance options available in the region. You need to consider the above points when you are looking for health insurance. Make sure to compare and shop around. Comparing different health insurance options ensures you find a policy that works for you.
One important thing to keep in mind in the UAE is regional coverage. The UAE consists of different emirates, and they all can offer different health insurance options. For example, if you need health insurance in Dubai, then you might find your policy doesn’t cover Abu Dhabi. If you have to travel a lot in the region, you definitely need to make sure to get insurance with wider coverage.
Make sure you also consider the different policies. You can find individual health insurance, as well as family insurance plans. The right options for you depend on your needs. If you have a big family, then getting a family plan tends to be cheaper than buying individual policies.
The bottom line is that you need to look around and spend a bit of time finding the right health insurance. Having health insurance in the UAE is essential for making your life a little better. The good news is that there is plenty of opportunities and options. You can find good coverage for you and your family.
Adam Mulligan did his degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. He is interested in mental health and well-being.
Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only; materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Don’t disregard professional advice or delay in seeking treatment because of what you have read on this website. Read our full disclaimer.