Do you know one person dies of suicide every 40 seconds? Yes, you read it right. Over 8,00,000 people commit suicide every year worldwide. The data is surprising and thoughtful. Where are humans heading? Where humanity failed to a level that someone took his/her own life?
The root cause of this is a lack of mental health. People are ready to spend thousands on building physical fitness but ignore mental stability. However, in recent times, mental issues are being addressed more than ever. Thanks to social media and institutions like Northlake behavioral health.
Some questions might cross your mind, like why is acknowledging mental health vital? And How can a person build his or her mental health and also help society as a whole? The article discusses everything.
Mental health and the pandemic
Here are some data related to mental health during the pandemic that shook the world.
- The sale of antidepressants in April 2019 was around Rs 186 crores. Fortunately, the sale lowered to 177 crores in April 2020. But then the pandemic hit. The sale went high by 23% in April 2021. The total amount was nearly 218 Crore. It is the data of only the Indian market, estimated by AIOCD’s (All Indian Origin Chemists & Distributors) research wing, an organization representing above 9 lakh pharmacists.
- The second wave of covid hit the country roughly in April. The Print reports that by May 2021, the medical personas of the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience, one of the most reputed mental health care institutions in the country, observes a sudden surge in the people requiring mental care. Also, the number of distress calls on the helpline number issued by the institution faced a surge of 40%. In addition, the number of people requiring critical therapy because of psycho-social issues like family abuse, problems, or violence has doubled.
- According to experts, the second wave of coronavirus built an environment of ‘fear-o-demic’ in the country. It means a significant population is suffering from a fear of losing their close people and jobs. These two are the key factors but not the only ones. Other factors include relationship issues, financial crisis, and staying indoors for such a long time. According to the founder and director of Saarthi Counselling Services, Shivani Misri, uncertainty has fuelled the already existing panic and anxiety of the pandemic. People are unsure of their life, education, and jobs.
Now, the question is, why discuss these data? How does it help people or mental healthcare institutions like Northlake behavioral health?
Why Discuss Mental Health?
Here are a few myths or prejudice you should know before understanding the significance of discussing mental health.
- Earlier, people were not aware of mental issues. A person was made fun of if they express their mental concerns.
- People used to hide their mental issues. They were more concerned about the judgment of society than their health.
- Most parents do not even know when their child is suffering from depression or anxiety.
- Visiting a psychiatrist or healthcare centre like Northlake behavioral health is considered something only rich people do.
However, when people came out on social media platforms about their mental issues, society became aware. Likewise, more and more people started getting medicines or treatment for health care. The data mentioned in the above paragraph shows that you or anyone else is not the only ones going through mental issues. Thus, it is vital to discuss them; it gives moral support.
When discussing mental well-being, the first thing is to focus on your mental health. The upcoming section deals with some tips.
Build your mental health
You might visit a gym or take a keto diet to stay physically healthy, but mental health requires a different approach. Some ways are:
- Work on your sleep schedule. Most youths are suffering from a messed sleeping schedule. You might think of it as something that does not affect you in any way but, you could be wrong. Sleep is vital to regulating various chemicals in the human brain, responsible for transmitting information in different cells. These chemicals play a crucial role in maintaining human emotions. Thus, without proper sleep, a person might feel anxious or depressed.
- Maintain a healthy diet. It is known that ‘a healthy mind resides in a healthy body.’ You might consider eating healthy as something only required for physical health but, this is partially true. The lack of a few vitamins and minerals like iron or B12 might result in mood swings. So, if you are anxious or depressed, try to eat a balanced diet. Also, cut the intake of caffeine.
- Do not hesitate to seek therapy. One of the most vital things to manage mental health is discussed. If you are suffering from stress that is messing up your mental peace, then contact a therapist. Most people fail to fight mental stress because of not sharing their feelings or emotions. You can either discuss it with your close ones or take medical help. It will help you to overcome it and build effective mental health.
- Activity and exercise. Working out or performing activities boosts the circulation of chemicals in your brain. These chemicals help to reduce anxiety, depression, tiredness, etc. Here exercise does not imply that you should work out for hours in the morning. A simple evening walk or yoga will also work.
- Do what makes you happy. Keep doing activities that you love. If picking a brush and painting makes you happy or taking a water spray to sprinkle your plants makes you happy, or watching Friends make you happy, do it. So, even if you stay busy with your office work or college assignments, try to find time for your favourite activities.
- Help each other. If you are someone with high mental stability, help others. Hear from your close ones, check on your friends and family, and spend time with people around you. All these things will give you happiness and others mental peace.
So, these are some ways to stay mentally healthy.
You might think that mental health issues have come after the pandemic. However, they are there for a long time. The pandemic only fuelled the already existing situation. However, humans can overcome it by helping each other. So, it is good to discuss, share, and practice the steps to build mental health.
Helen Bradfield did her degree in psychology at the University of Edinburgh. She has a particular interest in mental health and well-being.