The health industry is booming by leaps and bounds. As many people have become conscious about their health and fitness, the industry is producing more supplements to help fitness enthusiasts maintain their overall wellbeing. More natural ingredients are used to create powders, capsules, and other supplements. They can be taken easily and provide many benefits to your body without any side effects. One of the ingredients that are growing immensely in popularity is the blue-green algae.
Blue-green algae are a group of bacteria that can be used as a source of protein. However, they don’t contain protein as much as other natural ingredients like meat or milk. They produce blue-green colored pigments and are rich in nutrients such as iron, vitamins, and other minerals. The algae grow in saltwater and a large freshwater lake. Blue-green algae have been used for food for many centuries in Africa and Mexican countries. They are sold in the form of supplements such as blue-green algae capsules, powders, and tablets worldwide.
The effectiveness of blue-green algae
Many studies and scientific research have backed this ingredient for promoting good health and overall wellbeing. People use it for treating high blood pressure and as a protein supplement. It also addresses high cholesterol levels or other lipids in the blood, obesity, diabetes, and other conditions. However, more substantial evidence is required to confirm these claims, research, and studies.
Uses of blue-green algae
Although more studies and evidence are required to prove the health benefits of blue-green algae for your body, it is believed that the component can be used in managing various health conditions.
- According to early research, taking blue-green algae by mouth may relieve allergy symptoms in adults.
- It is claimed that blue-green algae might reduce the need for blood transfusion and improve heart and liver health. This use of the ingredient may highly benefit children.
- Early research on this ingredient has established that it may improve cholesterol levels in small amounts. Some research also claims that blue-green algae might improve liver function in people with hepatitis C.
- Sometimes, your body cannot absorb all the vital nutrients, affecting its growth. This condition is mostly caused by a poor diet. Some early research claims that giving blue-green algae to malnourished children along with a nutritious diet may improve their health and increase weight gain.
- Blue-green algae are effective in maintaining women’s health, too, especially when they go through menopause. According to studies, the ingredient helps ease the symptoms of menopause. Taking blue-green algae by mouth reduces anxiety or depression in women undergoing this phase.
- An early study on this component also states that taking blue-green algae improves the feelings of mental tiredness and makes your brain more active and alert.
- Some early studies show that taking this ingredient by mouth may improve weight loss. Additionally, taking blue-green algae may also improve cholesterol levels in adults with obesity.
How many doses of blue-green algae is right for me?
Before you jump on the bandwagon of consuming blue-green algae, it is vital to choose the right dosage. In adults, the dosage of this component should be between 1-10 grams. You can consume the said dose daily for up to six months to see the difference in your health.
But do not buy products of blue-green algae from any random brand. Always be particular while buying health supplements with this ingredient. Use the products that have been tested and are free of contaminants like heavy metals, toxins, and harmful bacteria.
Besides being particular about the brand name and other considerations, we also suggest you have a word with your healthcare provider to find out which product of blue-green algae suits you and what dosage you should take for a specific condition.
David Tobin did his degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. He is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.