Herbal remedies have always been a part of human civilisation. People have been using different plants for their medicinal properties since time immemorial. The practice is still very popular in many parts of the world.
There are many reasons why people opt for herbal medicines. For one, these remedies are usually much cheaper than conventional medicines. Secondly, they are considered to be more natural and hence, safer. Thirdly, herbs usually have fewer side effects than conventional drugs. Finally, many people believe that herbs are more effective in treating certain conditions.
Regardless of the reasons, the use of herbs is on the rise. One such herb that is rapidly gaining popularity is the insulin plant.
In this article, we’ll take a look at what the insulin plant is and what are some of its potential benefits and side effects. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
What is the insulin plant?
The insulin plant is a herb that is native to tropical regions of Asia, Africa, and South America. It’s also known by its scientific name, Costus Igneus. The plant belongs to the family of plants called Costaceae.
The insulin plant grows up to a height of 2–3 metres and has large, dark green leaves. The plant bears yellow flowers that blossom in the form of a cone.
The insulin plant is best known for its purported medicinal properties. The herb has been used in traditional medicine for centuries to treat a variety of ailments, including diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and high cholesterol.
The plant is named after the hormone insulin due to its purported ability to lower blood sugar levels. Insulin is a hormone that is produced by the pancreas and helps in regulating blood sugar levels in the body.
Apart from its use in traditional medicine, the insulin plant is also used in making perfumes and cosmetics. The oil extracted from the plant is used as a fragrance in many products. The plant is also used as an ornamental plant in gardens.
So, if you’re looking for a herb with potential medicinal benefits, then the insulin plant is definitely worth considering.
4 Benefits of insulin plant
The insulin plant, one of nature’s many gifts, has been used in traditional medicine for centuries to treat a variety of conditions. Due to its purported medicinal properties, the plant is gaining popularity as a natural remedy for various ailments.
Here are four potential benefits of the insulin plant:
- Helps in treating diabetes. The insulin plant is best known for its ability to lower blood sugar levels. The herb contains a compound called charantin, which has been shown to be effective in lowering blood sugar levels. Charantin works by stimulating the release of insulin from the pancreas and also by increasing the sensitivity of cells to insulin. This assists in regulating blood sugar levels in the body and also prevents spikes in blood sugar levels after meals. The insulin plant can be used to treat both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Aids in weight loss. The insulin plant can also be used as a natural weight loss remedy. The herb is believed to boost metabolism and help in burning fat. Charantin, the compound present in the plant, is thought to increase the breakdown of fats in the body. This assists in reducing weight and also prevents obesity.
- Helps in treating high blood pressure. The insulin plant is also known to be effective in treating high blood pressure. The herb contains compounds that help in relaxing the blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. This, in turn, helps in preventing heart attacks and strokes. The insulin plant can be used to treat both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- Helps in treating high cholesterol. The insulin plant can also be used to treat high cholesterol. The herb contains compounds that help in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing good cholesterol levels (HDL) in the body. This helps in preventing heart diseases and also helps in maintaining a healthy lipid profile.
4 Side effects of insulin plant
While the insulin plant is known for its many potential benefits, it also has a number of negative side effects that you should be aware of.
Here are some of the possible side effects of the insulin plant:
- It may cause low blood sugar levels. In case you’re taking insulin or other diabetes medications, then using the insulin plant may put your blood sugar levels too low. This can lead to hypoglycemia, which is a condition characterised by low blood sugar levels.
- It may cause allergic reactions. Some people may be allergic to the insulin plant. This is because the plant contains a compound called histamine, which can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include itching, rashes, and swelling. If you experience any of these symptoms after using the plant, then stop using it and seek immediate medical help.
- It may interact with certain medications. The insulin plant may interact with certain medications such as diabetes medications, blood pressure medications, and cholesterol-lowering medications. Therefore, it is critical to talk to your doctor before using the plant if you are taking any medication.
- It may cause stomach upset. The insulin plant may also cause stomach upset in some people. This is because the plant contains a compound called saponin, which can cause gastrointestinal discomfort.
Live a happy and healthy life
Overall, the insulin plant is a great way to lower blood sugar levels and improve heart health. There are some potential negative effects to be aware of, but as long as you speak with your doctor before beginning any new supplement regimen, you should be fine.
Remember, always listen to your body, and don’t hesitate to ask for help if something doesn’t feel right. That’s the best way to stay healthy and avoid any potential problems.
Adam Mulligan did his degree in psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. He is interested in mental health, wellness, and lifestyle.