What’s the purpose of Psychreg?
The core mission of Psychreg is simple: We aim to be generous in providing people with relevant information in psychology, mental health, and well-being.
How do you pronounce Psychreg and what does it mean?
The word is a portmanteau of ‘psychology’ and ‘registry’. Psychreg started as a listing of background of people who are interested in psychology, and later on expanded to its present form.
What makes Psychreg different?
We are acutely aware that there are many blogs in this niche, but what makes us uniquely positioned is our approach – Psychreg has six complementary strands:
- Psychreg Blog – This is our flagship platform where we feature a wealth of information: from profiles, high-quality articles, latest research, job vacancies, event announcements, and mental health stories.
- Psychreg Podcast – Some people would rather listen to a podcast or see a video, and we understand that. That’s why Psychreg teamed up with The Mental Breakdown to deliver regular episodes on a wide range of topics in psychology, mental health, and well-being. Hosted by Dr Berney Wilkinson and Dr Richard Marshall, our podcast episodes are cross-posted on our YouTube channel.
- Psychreg Journal of Psychology – PJP is an open access initiative of Psychreg. As a free-to-publish publication, we aim to provide a genuine platform for knowledge sharing, so that we can support researchers, academics, and students in disseminating their works.
- Mental Health Stories – We believe that blogging can be an instrumental tool in combatting the stigma of mental health, this is why we offer people who are struggling with their mental health issues to share their stories.
- Events – We believe that our approach makes us a relevant online resource. But, if Psychreg is to become even more relevant, we are not convinced that it should remain just an online resource. Hence, we also organise our own events to promote timely discussions. To date, the largest of our events is the 1st International Conference on Psychology, Counselling and Education (ICPCE 2018) in August 2018, to be held in the Philippines.
- International Organisation – Psychreg aims to be more relevant to psychologists, counsellors, and educators. This is the core reason why we established the International Society of Psychology, Counselling and Education (ISPCE). The Society also intends to act as a bridge for scholarly communication and professional interaction among psychologists, counsellors, and educators around the globe.
What’s the motivation behind Psychreg?
Growing up in a slum in Manila in the Philippines, I have witnessed first-hand how discussions about mental health and well-being are considered a luxury, which is understandable given that there are numerous other issues which are deemed to be more pressing.
Indeed, managing Psychreg, along with other commitments, was a shot in the dark – financially and otherwise. But through the support of the online community, Psychreg is gradually gaining traction. (For the story behind Psychreg, you might want to read this interview by Laura Donaghy-Spargo).
With many thanks,
Founder of Psychreg